Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish they'd outlaw the hobby welders...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wish they'd outlaw the hobby welders...

so people wouldn't bring me stuff like this to fix.

Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Outlaw them, why? More work for you when their stuff doesn't hold together.

Comment

If there were no bad welds in the world, how would people recognise yours as good?

Igor

Comment

You can add backyard body shops to the ban list too. I've seen some pretty hideous patchwork and body filler thick enough to serve as a boat anchor. In fact, just license body filler and paint. It's amazing to me how some can make good products looks like crap.

Comment

Don't make fun of the blind Winchman, guy was doing the best that he could...

and can't really go by "feel" cuz the parts too hot at the time....

Comment

Wow. What the heck was it?

Comment

Looks like aluminum mud dauber work...

Comment

I've seen professional welds that did not look that good.

Comment

Now we have had some "Laughs", remember you are sharing the highway with trailers and car/truck repairs of the same quality. When someone asks me about buying a MIG welder to "learn with", I suggest they find a class and learn first.

Comment

Looks like thew weld held just fine till someone drilled a hole in the tube.
                    Andy

Comment

When I bought my plow jeep. Every weld on it looked like a metal porcupine. It was quite impressive.

Just like the old saying goes, "if you can't weld good, weld lots"

Comment

It isn't the hobby welder it's the hobby welder - um - the drag and slobber together guy? Hereabouts, my bane was the good ol' boys who weld over dirt and grease. "Hell, the arc will blow it out." comes the breezy dismissal of a turkey poop looking weld having zero penetration and a wide zone of spatter covered by a quick coat of Krylon's cheapest.

This quick and dirty repair is on a vital joint is near the center of a point loaded beam. The joint is on a change of section and has to resist pitching of a high center of gravity load and towing and braking forces; specifically where the trailer tongue A frame welds to the side rails of a structural steel boat trailer.

A few minutes with solvent and a rag followed by a few minutes of power wire brush, followed by a detailed weld prep followed by a several minutes of welding with the right filler (maybe pre-heat and post-heat, too) and "Dayum! You waste a lot of time making it pretty but that is a nice-looking weld."

The fool is describing a back-gouged, full penetration weld in A36 structural steel whose margins were upset to preclude HAZ shrink, wire brushed to bright metal, and ready for a three coat paint system suited for periodic immersion in salt water. I could shoot him.

It's failures of weld joints like this that once in a great while cause horrendous loss of life accidents that in turn leads to busybody regulatory legislation stating you can't even tack on a back-up light bracket unless you have documented qualifications and a third party for-fee inspector to certify it OK. The same kind of regulation the fool in my narrative finds infuriating, insulting, outrageous, economy stifling, insufferable, un-American, and freedom infringing yet never understands the institutionalized negligence and arrogance behind the need for regulatory remedy.

Duh!!! Ever hear of personal responsibility? Ever hear of doing the job right in the first place? Ever hear of rational self-assessment of personal skills and abilities prior to embarking on a project requiring competant workmanship?
                        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 07-28-2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                          Duh!!! Ever hear of personal responsibility?
                          This is what it boils down to.
                          I know my limitations and set a few standards and personal goals. I know when something is beyond my personal skill set and abilities. I'll gladly concede the fact that I'm better off letting someone else do certain things that I'm incapable of...much cheaper in the long run.
                          I realize everyone has to start somewhere and learn, but that stuff belongs back in the scrap bin where it came from.

This reminds of the time someone brought in a pickup with some wiring "issues". Started by having a good look at all the accessories installed by the owner. Wires for the trailer, camper, radios, etc. etc. Buddy had enough excess wire under the dash and under the hood to fill a 5 gal. bucket! I was amazed that the thing hadn't caught fire. Lots of loose stuff, non-insulated connections, and not a fuse or a circuit breaker to be seen.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

[QUOTE=winchman;994616]so people wouldn't bring me stuff like this to fix.

I really don't see the problem. The pictures show two breaks, both in about the same place. The material looks to be cast "something". Can't tell what it is. Possibly pot metal. No matter what had been done before, you would need to clean it all up before welding.

The biggest problem for me in these situations is that I lose the spatial relationship between the broken parts. It's hard to put them back together right if you don't know the exact distance to the holes, and what angle the flat pieces are supposed to be at in relation to the rest of the thing.

Of course, ignore this if you want, 'cause I'm just hobby welder. I have no problems with making things, but repairing unknown metals can be a bitch.

BTW, how did it look when you were done with it?

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy View Post
                              Ever hear of personal responsibility?
                              Not for a while now, Friend. Forgotten concept gone the way of the Dodo and Dodgeball, along with the concepts that there might actually be something upsetting in life and not everyone is equal.

Thanks for the laugh, though...

Comment

Working...
                              X