• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool recycling machine

Machine that cuts and strips motor windings for recycling-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpDPEPiONgY

If you have ever done this by hand,you know what an improvement this is
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Well the concept is good but it's a real crap design in that the first operation has to be carried out with the operator on his knees.
    Second half is at working hight so would have paid to jack the first bit up to the same high.

Don't think our rewinders will be buying one, bitch of a job the weld the two halves back together to rewind it.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

We had an air-operated shear to cut the windings off one side, then the stator went into a furnace (made from an old office safe with an oil burner poking in one side and a stovepipe out the top). The wire fell out and the stator was ready for new insulation and windings.

No EPA back then.

Comment

Certainly not meant for rewinding, but actually most of the laminations might remain in good enough shape to clean up, restack, and rewind. I have removed windings from motors and rewound them, making three phase motors from single phase, at much lower voltage so it could run on a 12V battery with a special inverter.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png

Paul: www.peschoen.com
        P S Technology, Inc. www.pstech-inc.com
        and Muttley www.muttleydog.com

Comment

Nasty looking log splitter guillotine, might benefit from a guard perhaps, the stretchy grippy poking thing seemed to do the job
          Mark

Comment

I wish I'd had that 25 years ago when I was in the scrap metal business. We were scrapping electric motors.
            I still have the special saw for cutting the ends off the stator windings. We had this special puller machine straight from a horror movie for pulling the windings after cutting. An air cylinder pulling a lever, with a chain and hook for pulling the wire. I was afraid of getting disemboweled using that thing.

The machine in the video looks pretty good compared to what I had.
            It needs 2 hand controls and some kind of guard, and to be raised up to a normal working height.
            The wire puller is really great, compared to what I used.
            I'm wondering if I can build a simplified version of the puller for my own use.

Comment

The low height is good in that you don't have to LIFT the damn heavy motors as far. :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

Working...
              X