Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt grinder tool score.. Anyone have any info on it

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks to be a decent machine. I don't know any particulars, but Dayton is the WW Grainger brand. They would likely have info through their "spare parts" operation.

Comment

I was hoping there would be a plate or something which would give me an indication of year etc but no such luck. Ultimately its way more robust than what I was using. I just like to know the history of what I have if possible

Comment

I picked up a 6" belt/12" disc 2HP like brand new Jet for $200 which will do me well.
        "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
        world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
        country, in easy stages."
        ~ James Madison

Comment

Dayton has not always been Grainger's house brand. Before Grainger, Dayton was a very successful manufacturer of bench grinders. Most shops in the 1950s would have had a Dayton grinder or two. Your belt sander could well date from that era. If it did come from/through Grainger, it should have a 5 character Dayton part number. Even if that part number is long out of production if you email Grainger and ask they can often email you a pdf scan of the manual.

metalmagpie

Comment

That appears to be a 6x48" belt grinder. Something funny about the stand, though - in the picture it appears to have had several drinks too many. :-)

metalmagpie

Comment

The actual sander is an exact copy of my Delta. Mine has an open stand as opposed to the closed one in the pix. I've had mine for over 45 years. Sure wish on occasion it had the disc
              also. :-)
              ...lew...

Comment

Like lew said, except that mine is still badged Rockwell. We also have to the same sander at work except it has more of an art deco style base rather than the angle iron one that mine has.

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                  The actual sander is an exact copy of my Delta. Mine has an open stand as opposed to the closed one in the pix. I've had mine for over 45 years. Sure wish on occasion it had the disc
                  ...lew...
                  I think mine at one time did have a disk and table on the right side. Or thats kinda the way it looks as there are a couple mounting holes and the pully shaft is extra long.

On another note I have always wanted a true belt grinder for knife making. What do you all think about speeding this puppy up to say the 3k RPM range. Think the bearings can take it... if not possible to upgrade bearings ???

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lew Hartswick View Post
                    ...lew...
                    Yeah, that was my thought too. But it's not quite an exact copy, casting are a bit different.

Note the upper guard has been sawed through on the left side from belt tracking not adjusted correctly. Probably the same reason a good deal of the lower guard and dust collector port is missing.

The old Delta's were pretty much the standard for medium duty stationary sanders for production factories. The older versions had the open, splayed leg stands which have become collectible and more desirable than the enclosed sheet metal ones.

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                      Note the upper guard has been sawed through on the left side from belt tracking not adjusted correctly. Probably the same reason a good deal of the lower guard and dust collector port is missing.
                      That is the way the one at work is, missing the side guards and the dust port. I will say that the top drum has been replaced once and then rebuilt again and the bed behind the belt has been replaced but that has been in 10 years that I have seen it in service. The sander also gets used/abused on a daily basis.

I also like to track the belt off the edge of the sander some. It is a little less forgiving on material removal when you are looking to just do a light du-burr. The one I have at the house still has the side guards on it but I think they will be coming off for this reason.

Comment

Delta/Rockwell made two versions of that sander, one with the 12" disc and one without. I now have the model without the disc but also owned one with the disc that I sold. They can be seen on my site. www.thekilmerplace.com

Comment

Axkiker:

I bought a 6x48 belt sander that looks very much like yours - mine did not even have a name (much less a mfg plate) on it. I took off the cover for the upper pulley and noticed enough of a shaft stub sticking past the pillow block to allow for a disk. I tuned a hub and mounted a 12 inch dia x 0.5 alum tooling plate (turned on my mill since I did not have a lathe with 12 inch swing at the time) to the hub and mounted the hub/plate to the sander. On my machine I was able to remove the table at the belt and remount the table to support items on the disk - I set the belt to run horizontally since I typically sand longer items with the belt and the table would just be in the way.

Comment

Anyone know the SFM these run.. I guess I could do the math but im lazy and hoping someone knows off the top of their head.

Motor is a 3450 rpm motor

Comment

Working...
                            X