Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Windows 8 On a Stick"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Windows 8 On a Stick"

    I got this email a day or so ago about Microsoft "Windows 8 On a Sick".

    I thought I'd forward it for interest and comment.

    http://www.estore.com.au/pc-on-a-sti...de-sku-oth9961

  • #2
    It's available thru Amazon Prime for $140 or Best Buy for $150 with W8.1. It's probably not lightning fast with that processor and 32-bit, but good enough for most purposes.

    Interesting, but doesn't seem very practical to carry around a mouse, keyboard and power adapter while you look for a compatible TV within range of a secure wifi.
    Last edited by winchman; 08-15-2015, 04:36 AM.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by winchman View Post
      It's available thru Amazon Prime for $140 or Best Buy for $150 with W8.1. It's probably not lightning fast with that processor and 32-bit, but good enough for most purposes.

      Interesting, but doesn't seem very practical to carry around a mouse, keyboard and power adapter while you look for a compatible TV within range of a secure wifi.
      Didn't you know, mice and keyboards are passé. You're supposed to do everything by smearing your fingers across the screen.
      Location: Long Island, N.Y.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by RichR View Post
        Didn't you know, mice and keyboards are passé. You're supposed to do everything by smearing your fingers across the screen.
        yeah how thats an improvement is beyond me. I think people got all hot and bothered about it after too many cheesy movie scenes of techno heros waving away at holographic surround screens. Barf.

        OT, this 'll help you, read this

        https://www.google.ca/search?q=windo...ows+on+a+stick
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by RichR View Post
          Didn't you know, mice and keyboards are passé. You're supposed to do everything by smearing your fingers across the screen.
          Funny you should say that. My newest laptop has a touchscreen. It even works properly using Linux. When not actively in use, the laptop normally sits on the table next to my recliner at arm's length.

          Every once in a while it's easier to reach out and tap the screen to do close a window or pause a video instead of using the touchpad to move the cursor to the right spot and click.

          Dan
          At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

          Location: SF East Bay.

          Comment


          • #6
            It all started with the kiddies working as cashiers at Mickey-D. They couldn't think so they came up with a touch sensitive menu that they just poked at images. Then came smart phones for dumb people and Windows 8 was born.

            It took humans about 11,000 years to come up with toilet paper. After about 1,000 years, it still hasn't made it to all parts of the World. I suspect the keyboard and mouse will be around for a while. Passé or not, that's where the real work is done.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally Posted by RichR

              Didn't you know, mice and keyboards are passé. You're supposed to do everything by smearing your fingers across the screen.
              Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
              yeah how thats an improvement is beyond me. I think people got all hot and bothered about it after too many cheesy movie scenes of techno heros waving away at holographic surround screens. Barf.

              OT, this 'll help you, read this

              https://www.google.ca/search?q=windo...ows+on+a+stick
              Thanks McGyver.

              As I said, I just forwarded it for info and comment - without bias or prejudice.

              Yep - I read that link as well.

              I am still running W8 on my machine and it is as stable and as reliable as I could reasonably wish for.

              It is as fast as I need or want it to be and I have few if any problems with it.

              It is bog-standard with only good protection - pretty well as it came "out of the box" and no "enhancements" at all.

              I might just buy one of those "W8 on a stick" and see how it goes.

              Comment


              • #8
                Be sure to buy a wireless keyboard and mouse combo also. You'll need to plug the transceiver into the single USB port that's available.

                Comment

                Working...
                X