Another gloat......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another gloat......

Went to a hangar sale today..... lots of tooling, some aircraft bits and pieces, including a couple partial fuselages etc.

They had a Surface grinder, a horizontal mill that was set up apparently to bend tubing, and some other such, plus cutters by the pound, measuring tools, etc.

Like Flylo's hangar, but tooling oriented, perhaps. They wanted it gone.

So there I am poking around, and what do I see on the floor? A Benchmaster vertical head setup, apparently complete except for the motor plate and a belt.

Now, I have a Horizontal Benchmaster, for which I am planning a vertical head. This obviously will save some serious time getting the machine functional, so I bought it.

No idea why it wasn't with the H-mill, which was a Benchmaster, the v-head has a perfectly good label on it, but it wasn't, it was back 40 feet away, laying on the floor with a price tag, so I said no more, and paid the asking price.

Now, what WAS that asking price?

Ah, that's the whole point.......

Their asking price for this was the enormous sum of FIVE BUCKS. Even included a fly cutter, collet, and drawbar.....

You've never seen anyone nab 30 lb or so of cast iron that fast before........

Yeah it will need a little cleanup...... OK..... Now I have an incentive to move faster on getting the mill fixed up and back together.

Last edited by J Tiers; 08-15-2015, 08:44 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

JT,
    Looks like it has not done a lot of work , good purchase.

Now get to it and post some pics of the project, should be good !

Michael

Comment

Hahahaaa! The best part of your score is that it ACTUALLY works within your needs. I know you have the horizontal and now you have the entire package. Happy for ya JR
      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Good score! Make sure you do a complete restore including scraping (the paint?) so you don't get the Forum Nannies on your back!

Comment

holy cow, congrats! That's a score even if you didn't have a BM mill, and you do!

Comment

Great find, you suck

Comment

Wow-
              That is too much of a good find for the normal YS reply.
              Congratulations and well done.

DS

Comment

Great score!
                All I bought was a 15 KVA transformer for $60, it was on Ebay but 10 miles away so I made him an offer. I weighs 500# plus, must be all copper. I hauled it on my mobility scooter hitch hailer on the van. I have 2 straps to the top of the door & this thing weighs as much as 2 big scoots with 14" ties & 2 group 24 batteries each. I thought I was doing wheelies on the way home. He had about 100 year old vice I can't lift(which isn't much) for $5. I had just sold a NIB Square D 15 KVA transformer for $500 so I had a space to fill. Oh sold a vice too so now I'm even.
                "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                country, in easy stages."
                ~ James Madison

Comment

Well, as you might expect, it was not without problems..... for $5 I'm certainly NOT complaining.....

Had to extract the collet, it wasn't popping out by tapping the drawbar... which turns out to be bent... aw shucks.... . Eventually found that without the drawbar, the fly cutter (with cutter brazed-in, maybe it's a big spotfacer) would spin in the collet. So I levered it out after oiling it well, by tapping it to spin first one way then the other. After that the collet came out with a tap.

Does not appear to have been rusted in place, so I don't really know what was holding it from coming out or even spinning. But I did run oil and solvent down it first, which seems to have cleaned some dirt off as well as loosened things, so maybe there was rust that is dirty and just doesn't look red like rust anymore.

Bearings are smooth, but spindle seems a bit stiffer than it should, so I may have to clean them. No clue yet if they are open with seals or shields separate, shielded, or sealed. I'll have to find out.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Is this the parts breakdown for the equipment pictured in the OP's first post?

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2101/3358.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick View Post
                      Is this the parts breakdown for the equipment pictured in the OP's first post?

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2101/3358.pdf
                      Yes it appears so. He should look at it

Thanks, I had forgotten they have metalworking stuff as well as "old woodworking machinery" info.

I do have it partly apart, the spindle pulley does not seem to want to release, I will see how many setscrews are in the hole. The drawing, which may or may not be accurate, implies the woodruff key may pass the inner closure due to diameter differences. I don't know that I see that, but I also don't see a good way of removing the woodruff key prior to sliding out the spindle.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

What is this 'inner closure' you speak of?

I'm not aware of any variations in the vertical spindle design, it should just slide out large end first. The spindle uses tapered roller bearings, so the bottom bearing will come out with the spindle. Plenty of room for the woodruff key to go past. If the pulley won't release, I would bet on someone having tightened the setscrew too much, thereby deforming the key. You'll probably need to tap the spindle out with a soft-faced hammer or something. That's how mine was, anyway.

Nice score, by the way. Benchmaster stuff is sort of hard to come by - I really wish I could find some arbors for my MH-2 (horizontal with overarm).

-Brian
                        Last edited by Brian H.; 08-17-2015, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Wow, that's a better deal
                          than nickel night at the whorehouse.

-Doozer
                          DZER

Comment

An amusing aside.... To make the round shank of the vertical head assy, Benchmaster put a center in the front of the whole head assy, and one in the back of the round part, and turned it between centers. I found the front center. Makes perfect sense, but one does not always think of putting a part like that between centers.

Originally posted by Brian H. View Post
                            What is this 'inner closure' you speak of?

Nice score, by the way. Benchmaster stuff is sort of hard to come by - I really wish I could find some arbors for my MH-2 (horizontal with overarm).

-Brian
                            The inner closures are Part no's 10 and 19 on the part breakdown. Don't know what they are, have not seen them yet, pulley is in the way.

I assumed from the drawing, and the assembly itself, that the spindle would slide out, since there really isn't any way to pull the key if you needed to. Might be just enough room. On other things, like the Logan lathe, you do have to pull a key before the spindle will come out.

As for arbors, MAKE THEM.... Any size and shape you want. Once you dial in the MT2 taper, make at least one extra blank. Your lathe compound should have enough travel to do the whole taper. You can get spacers and bearing bushings from Victor Machinery in NYC, since they are a pain to make.

For a taper reference, use an arbor that you have. If no arbor, you can use some lathe tailstock tooling, if your lathe has MT2. An MT2 "2 to 1 adaptor" if nothing else.... for that you'll need the T/S aligned correctly to hold between centers (but you'd need that anyhow to make the arbor).

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                              Good score! Make sure you do a complete restore including scraping (the paint?) so you don't get the Forum Nannies on your back!
                              What luck that you should find such a thing in such close proximity to another thread that would suggest a universally accepted and tasteful suggestion for a color scheme!!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X