Alum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alum

A while ago I seem to have read about getting broken taps out of aluminium by soaking in Alum to dissolve the tap.
    Can anyone tell me what Alum is in England,because I asked at the chemists and got a blank look,I would imagine it goes under some proprietory name,but I have no idea what it might be?
    I saw a TV program the other night and apparently it was used in the wool dyeing process.
    Is it classed as a dangerous chemical?

Allan

[This message has been edited by Allan Waterfall (edited 06-19-2004).]

Alum should be available in the grocery store in with the canning supplies. It is used in pickling.
    Jim H.

Comment

Thanks JC,

However I have never seen anything called Alum on any shelves over here,neither has my wife.

Allan

Comment

Allan,

Here alum is usually found in the spice section at the grocery store.

You many want to look at a cook book for a pickle recipe and see if you can find your name for alum.

Comment

Aluminum disulfate

Al(SO4)2

Comment

It is also a component of self-rising baking powders, I believe. Another possible source for your name for it.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

It used to be put on serious cuts to stop bleeding so it is not toxic. I know because it was applied to me when I had an accident.

[This message has been edited by Ted Coffey (edited 06-19-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Ted Coffey (edited 06-19-2004).]

Comment

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&lr...&q=define:alum

Try the local chemist.
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Does "tawas" sound more familiar?

I did a little researching on this and found that alum is named "tawas" in some parts of the world.

10F

Comment

Alum is used as a coagulant in water treatment plants. You might try calling the local water plant and see if you can get a small sample of it.

Mike

Comment

THANKS to everyone for all the replies.

Allan

Comment

Something really neat with alum,

when you have some tool steel too hard to scratch with a file, take it and get it light red and pack it into a bucket with alum. It will suck any case-hardening out of the metal where it can be cut with a saw, filed or ground easily.

Rehardening is much harder, you need carbon packing or oil quenching to get the carbon put back into the metal.

Cool it slowly, anneals or softens, hardens by cooling or quenching it rapidly.

This was showed to me by a old guy who helped me out a lot.

David

Comment

Working...
                        X