No announcement yet.

Metric Threading with an Inch Lead Screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even better, just follow what's in the video in the OP.
    No measurements, no computer programs, no 10,000 Tiffiepedia links.

Go away and try it then come back and say why it won't work.

[ That should get rid of a few of the welded to an armchair contestants ]

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Friends don't let friends single point metric threads
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
        Even better, just follow what's in the video in the OP.
        No measurements, no computer programs, no 10,000 Tiffiepedia links.

Go away and try it then come back and say why it won't work.

[ That should get rid of a few of the welded to an armchair contestants ]
        John
        I can think of no reason at all why that method won't work, although I haven't had any problems with whipping the tool back as it gets into the groove, with the right hand while the left hand hits the stop button then reversing. Admittedly my lathes only a 5 1/2" (11" in US speak) so it stops pretty quickly even though it doesn't have a brake fitted. I'm doing things the opposite way though, cutting imperial on a metric lathe, but can't see theres any difference.
        Trying to avoid any comments about how important it is to practice withdrawing the tool quickly at the critical moment---.

I did come across an article written about 1900, on how to cut odd threads (that dreadful 11 1/2 TPI our friends use) without having to stop or reverse, this being on lineshaft belt drive machines without even a thread dial. Probably too primitive for anyone to even consider these days.

My grandfather, who served his apprenticeship while Victoria was still Queen, used to mark the changewheels with chalk before starting, and only drop the half nuts in when all the chalk marks lined up again. No covers over the gears in his day!
        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

I have an old book on 'workshop practice' which shows how to cut non-standard threads by offsetting the tail stock, turning between centres and using the taper attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
            I have an old book on 'workshop practice' which shows how to cut non-standard threads by offsetting the tail stock, turning between centres and using the taper attachment.
            I can see why you would only find that in an "old" book, like back when 8th grade math was hardcore yet practical, i.e. well beyond what we have today (or so they say.)

I can see how it would work, but I bet trying to get that 29.5 degrees tweaked to match the necessary tail stock offset might be fun. Thankfully, I don't have a taper attachment.

Comment

STICK does not seem to run under Windows 7.

Marv, could you explain how this program finds the sync distance.

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
              There is a program on my page (STICK) which will work out the length needed for any combination of pitches and leadscrews. Basically, one wants to find the shortest length that is an integer multiple of both the pitch being turned and the pitch of the lathe's leadscrew.

The program will also make the calculation for turning Inferial pitches on a lathe with a metric leadscrew.
              Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 08-27-2015, 12:09 AM.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

It is a DOS utility to be "RUN" under the Windows "run" which sort of emulates DOS.

Comment

STICK does not seem to run under Windows 7.
                  The site does mention you may need to install Dosbox to run it and the other utilities listed there.

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                    The site does mention you may need to install Dosbox to run it and the other utilities listed there.
                    Thanks for pointing that out, Rich. I never cease to marvel how many people never read the Introduction on the page and then plague me with questions that are answered there.
                    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                      Thanks for pointing that out, Rich. I never cease to marvel how many people never read the Introduction on the page and then plague me with questions that are answered there.
                      I suppose you could highlight the Dosbox section in red to lead people to it, but you can't make them read.

Comment

I spent half an afternoon trying to get Dosbox to run on my 64 bit Win 7 laptop. Finally gave up and uninstalled it.
                        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                          I suppose you could highlight the Dosbox section in red to lead people to it, but you can't make them read.
                          I'm not selling anything (everything on my site is free for the taking) so I really don't care if they're too lazy to read the material presented. I get one or two emails a week asking why the programs won't run on newer systems. I long ago gave up answering them.
                          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Stick runs like a champ on the 0.74 dosbox for linux, thanks for your work Marv.

Steve.

Comment

My CVA has a magic lever on the headstock - single tooth dog clutch.
                              I nearly always leave the half nuts engaged and throw the leadscrew out of gear. Works on metric and imperial, and feeds the carriage back without stopping the lathe.

Dave
                              Just south of Sudspumpwater UK

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                                Sorry, don't understand how that works.
                                'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Working...
                                X