Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting a fuel bottle open with a cutting torch

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=155_1429303272

It never ceases to amaze me how thoughtlessly careless humans can be. That one is lucky it didn't explode on him. Bet he is jobless now.
    I came to work one afternoon to find the shipping kid about to torch off a drum lid for a waste barrel. The boss instructed him to do that. I stopped him, went and told the boss what could happen. He insisted it be cut. I advised him to stand next to the drum while it was torched. He declined. I brought in a body cutter and air hammer next day and cut the top off. A much safer method.
    Boss figured out a way to fire me a few weeks later for showing him the error of his way. Shipping kid was not killed by bosses stupid demand. I felt better overall.
    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

What an ass.

Originally posted by krutch View Post
      It never ceases to amaze me how thoughtlessly careless humans can be. That one is lucky it didn't explode on him. Bet he is jobless now.
      I came to work one afternoon to find the shipping kid about to torch off a drum lid for a waste barrel. The boss instructed him to do that. I stopped him, went and told the boss what could happen. He insisted it be cut. I advised him to stand next to the drum while it was torched. He declined. I brought in a body cutter and air hammer next day and cut the top off. A much safer method.
      Boss figured out a way to fire me a few weeks later for showing him the error of his way. Shipping kid was not killed by bosses stupid demand. I felt better overall.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

And the Darwin Award winner is.... Envelope please
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Just another day in Mother Russia.
          Next up, more Chinese people-eating escalators!

Comment

Was just fine until the idiot kicked it over.
            Andy

Comment

Good grief! Ah Russia...or as I call it the Wonderland of WTF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4j1S4II3Q
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

How do you say "Hey y'all, watch this!" In Russian?
                Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

Originally posted by Beazld View Post
                  How do you say "Hey y'all, watch this!" In Russian?
                  Эй вы все , смотрите это!

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by krutch View Post

That is a bossman that will be in the dark and remain ignorant his whole life...

pity the fool... and yes the people who have to be around him, so yeah lucky you...

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                      Good grief! Ah Russia...or as I call it the Wonderland of WTF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH4j1S4II3Q
                      So where was the video of girls shooting AKs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a fatality at a mine in Kentucky back in the early 80's when a welder cut into a large fuel tank (it had already been chemically cleaned) that he had "purged" with the exhaust from a truck engine, this incredibly stupid but fairly common method has resulted in some serious accidents. Just a few hours before the incident a foreman insisted I weld a fuel tank on an old army truck they had using the same "purge" method but I refused and even threatened to call MSHA (the mining version of OSHA) if he attempted to get someone else to do it, I was a contractor so he had no authority over me. When he gave in and commented on how unreasonable I was being I made the off-hand comment that "you guys will get someone killed doing that someday", tragically I just didn't realize how close that day was! The MSHA investigator told us of several accidents he had investigated over the years with some involving otherwise clean tanks that had been "purged" with exhaust as a precautionary measure!

I just don't understand how people can think exhaust gas from an engine is inert! No way way has all the fuel been burned in engine exhaust and it lacks only oxygen to become an explosive! Maybe this situation would be improved with catalytic converter equipped engines but then again maybe not, either way it's an incredibly dumb thing to do but people still do it sometimes.

Comment

Whats the proper way to do it. Fill it with water ?

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                            Scrapping it-crushing it with the grapple on that excavator would have been a better idea.

Cutting a tank for reuse-vent or drain off contents,rinse with water and detergent then purge with inert gas while cutting is the safest way.

Inert gas being CO2,Argon,Nitrogen.As Radkins points out engine exhaust is a bad idea given the Carbon monoxide which will burn and even detonate.
                            Last edited by wierdscience; 08-24-2015, 11:54 AM.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                              I have built countless BBQ smokers out of used propane tanks. I just took all the fittings off that would come off and rolled it into a wood fire in a safe spot. Then filled it with water and cut with a plasma, torch, reciprocating saw or cut off wheel on a grinder. When we used a cut off wheel we dropped the water level below the cut line.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X