Looking for a collet holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a collet holder

I ended up with a box of the these collets: http://cuttingtoolsales.com/shop/gs-...illing-collet/ as part of a lot. What type of holder does this work with. There is no threads on these.

Thanks all.

http://www.big-daishowa.com/product_...t_01_chuck.php Halve way down the page you will find the high power chuck that takes these collets. I have a similar chuck for milling cutters and find it an excellent system.

Comment

Wow. So the tapper is on the nut. Any thoughts of what the angle is? My thought is to use it as a fixture if I can build it? Just thoughts or should I just sell them on E-bay. Anybody build one of these?

Comment

I have a set of those, but no mill big enough to put them in. I use them in the lathe chuck if the chuck won't go down that small or if I don't want to take off the chuck to change over to collets.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
          Wow. So the tapper is on the nut. Any thoughts of what the angle is? My thought is to use it as a fixture if I can build it? Just thoughts or should I just sell them on E-bay. Anybody build one of these?
          That's not how these work. The sleeves that you have are ground cylindrical (no taper) to a very tight tolerance, and the body of the chuck is likewise ground without taper. Put the sleeve in the chuck, and when you tighten the 'nut', the body of the chuck actually collapses radially to compress the sleeve. Both mating tapered portions are inside the chuck itself. They will hold very tightly, but as mentioned they're really meant for large machines with 50 taper or one of the larger HSK spindles that can take advantage of the strength of the chuck.

You might be able to make a fixture that is split down its length and uses pinch bolts to clamp the sleeve, but you would need to hold tolerances better than -0 +.0005 on the bore for best results. I'd probably sell them if you don't have a specific use for them.

-Brian

Comment

if you were to be interested in selling them, i might be interested in buying them...
            i have a toolholder that takes that kind of collets and havent seen any collets for sale over here in europe

Comment

I have a Cat40 Nikken holder along with a complete set of the collets from 1/8" to 1" and it has a 1-1/4" bore you can use with no collet. Nikken calls it a milling chuck, with a tremedous grip to hold endmills. Spendy piece of kit, but it came with the mill we bought.

Comment

janvanruth

PM sent

Comment

Would it not have been prudent to simply ask the people who supply the collets I E the people you have contact with cutting tool sales how much a holder would be or for more information. This is not meant as a criticism just think it might work for you. Have fun. Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

These were in a box of other parts I wanted. I have not used these before and I not in the business. Just one playing the part in his home shop.

Comment

Working...
                    X