7/16-10 lh acme rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7/16-10 lh acme rod

Been a while since I've looked for some. Can't find any anywhere. Anyone know of a ready source?
    Don't want to take out a loan either.... Only need a foot or two.

Thanks,
    Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Steve Wells makes sections of replacement crossfeed screws using the same equipment SB used. You should send him an email: [email protected]

allan

Comment

Why not just make it yourself? I know it is the smart arsed answer but.................
      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

I don't have a follower rest and don't want to make one at this time.

Pete
        1973 SB 10K .
        BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
          Steve Wells makes sections of replacement crossfeed screws using the same equipment SB used. You should send him an email: [email protected]

allan
          Thanks, I just did.

Pete
          1973 SB 10K .
          BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Keystone Threaded Products MIGHT have that size; I did get 9/16" from them and I did not get a loan. I believe it is in 3 foot lengths.
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

checked surplus center with no luck but 1/2"x10tpi 3' long was $9.85

Comment

Well, if I can't find something in a couple of weeks, I'm considering changing that screw to 1/2-10. I
                think it'll fit fine and it's much more common size.

What started all this was an article in the HSM Jan/Feb 04 by JW Foster who described a very nice
                telescoping taper attachment for the 9" & 10" South Bend lathes. I would like to build one for my
                10K.

Pete
                1973 SB 10K .
                BenchMaster mill.

Comment

It sounds like you need to repair a cross slide on an older lathe. I had the same problem a few years ago. In the end I bought some 3/8-10 precision threaded rod from McMaster and a 3/8-10 precision nut. I had to modify the nut to fit. I also cut off the original cross slide rod, bored a 3/8" hole in the section I intended to reuse, then silver soldered the 3/8-10 rod to it. The new system has been in place about 5 years and works better than the old one. The parts weren't cheap, but it was better than looking around for years or having to scrap the cross slide.

Comment

I have a need to make a couple of lengths of 7/16" x 10tpi ACME screw for the feedscrews of a BCA jig borer (the current ones are 7/16" x 14tpi Whitworth! They may have been that way when it was made during WWII). I've even got the taps for the nuts. Bad news is that it won't get to the top of the jobs list for a year or two.

Having said that, Turning ACME threads is not at all difficult. If your tool bit is sharp and you take the last few cuts gently you won't need a follower rest. I've done 3/8" x 10 ACME x 8 inches without difficulty for a Myford, just using a tailstock centre for support.
                    Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

I have also been looking for 7/16 10 lh acme. I found it. email me if interested.

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
                        I have a need to make a couple of lengths of 7/16" x 10tpi ACME screw for the feedscrews of a BCA jig borer (the current ones are 7/16" x 14tpi Whitworth! They may have been that way when it was made during WWII). I've even got the taps for the nuts. Bad news is that it won't get to the top of the jobs list for a year or two.

Having said that, Turning ACME threads is not at all difficult. If your tool bit is sharp and you take the last few cuts gently you won't need a follower rest. I've done 3/8" x 10 ACME x 8 inches without difficulty for a Myford, just using a tailstock centre for support.
                        I made a 1/2"LH 8tpi Acme for the cross slide on my Smart & Brown (threaded portion is about 12" long). Mark is correct that it is not really difficult. In my experience, a follower rest was necessary. I had a very keen HSS tool, put a fairly generous rake on top - I could not get the last of the tool push out of the finishing cuts (variation in thread clearance along the screw). I cobbled up a follower rest (only need it for the finishing passes) clamped to the tool post. I got a very good result. You can too.

Comment

Try here : http://www.greenbaymfgco.com Nice people to deal with.
                          Toolznthings

Comment

Working...
                          X