South Bend made in Korea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Bend made in Korea?

I looked at another lathe today. A south bend made in Korea? Whats with that?

Any way, it has nothing with it, just the tail stock, and the ways are in good shape. It runs smooth.

It is about a 13inch by 30inch. What do you think it is worth or should I stay away?

Bob

You may find this thread interesting (from the Chaski archive).

The machine was a Harrison M300 knockoff imported by SB.

http://www.chaski.com/cgi-bin/machin....pl?read=74125

Den

Comment

I'm not supprised. Anything goes since I found out John Deere tractors are made in Japan.

Comment

Yup!

Thats the one. I'm waiting for the guy to call and tell me what he wants for it. It seems it will be hard to get parts and what not.

I'm going to wait and see if anyone elce here chimes in. I always say, the info on this board is amazing!!

Thanks Bob

Comment

Ken, just for information: the John Deere compact tractors (4000 series) are made in Japan, the 5000 series are made in Mexico and India, the 6000 series are made in Manheim Germany. The real Tractors 90 to 500 HP (7000, 8000, 9000 series) are made in Waterloo, Ia. However we are beginning to see some of the 90 - 130 HP units with engines made in Mexico. Who knows what the future will bring. Its interesting that 45% of Deere's total ag sales is outside the US and Canada.

Comment

I should think anything made in either Germany or Japan will be well made and worth buying.
            No disrespect to tht USA but just like stuff made in America their workmanship is not shoddy. I cannot speak for mexico etc Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I'm the Steve Jensen that answered that post of Hackasaw's and I have one of these. It's a good lathe and I've found that the steady rest and follower rest from a Harrison M300 fit it straight up. I dont know about the other parts, internal etc., but it sure appears to be a direct copy of the M300.
              Steve

Comment

For what its worth, a very good copy of the Harrison M300 was made by Runmaster in Taiwan and at least sold here in Australia. As of about 2 years ago this machine is now being made in China for Runmaster but with a resulant drop in fit and finish, but also the price has reduced, can't have everything.

Comment

Linde forklifts and Multi Ton pallet jacks are made in Germany and are crap. Over engineered at the cost of durability and reliability.

Comment

Jaymo,
                    I'm not supprised Linde forklifts are crap.
                    What good is a chocolate fork truck ?

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Chocolate fork lift..? I think Willie Wonka used those in his Chocolate Factory.

Alistair, I think the John Deere comments were intended more to lament the loss of mfg jobs than declining quality. That's the way I read it anyway. Certainly the Kubota tractors, imported from Japan, are highly regarded.

Comment

Back in 1978 or when I bought my South Bend, somehow or other I ended up having a mail exchange with a manager at SB. In the course of the exchange he mentioned that he was going to Korea to work out a manufacturing arrangement in Korea. So it's been going on a fairly long time.
                        ----------
                        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
                        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
                        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
                        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
                        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
                        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Working...
                        X