Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need source for small pieces of cast iron...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Cut up a nodular iron engine crankshaft. I have not personally done this but should yield good quality material. junk cranks should be available for scrap price or free.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by eegunner View Post
      For sure......sucks paying the shipping sometimes but their service has always been top notch.

      I have been thinking about calling a local scrap yard to see if they will sell me materials out of the cutoff's bins by the pound just to stock up on such things in the shop. Anyone ever had any luck with that route?
      I've been contacting all the local shops I can find to try and purchase drops, and absolutely zero luck so far.
      Max
      http://joyofprecision.com/

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by eegunner View Post
        I have been thinking about calling a local scrap yard to see if they will sell me materials out of the cutoff's bins by the pound just to stock up on such things in the shop. Anyone ever had any luck with that route?
        I have,there were two good scrap yards near me that would allow people on the yard.One I used to do a good bit of repair work for,they always paid in surplus material.Don't know how many tons of of good material I got from them.Both yards are closed now and the only one left won't deal
        I just need one more tool,just one!

        Comment


        • #19
          I wish I could find someone that would even bother to stock durabar or similar

          Most people I've spoken to say it's easier to call the local foundry (Flocast) and ask them pretty please to mail you some drops, than to get someone to actually stock some.

          Comment


          • #20
            I've never been able to figure out what some businesses have against shipping USPS. The post office comes to your address 6 days a week already, they will ship boxes to your door for free, have software to print mailing labels which are also free, and their prices are way cheaper if you can fit it in a flat rate box. What's not to like?

            Maybe UPS gives businesses a kickback or something.

            Brian

            Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
            It gets pretty aggravating when the shipping cost exceeds the item cost by more than double. UPS would charge you $22 to ship something across the street, take a week to do it and probably destroy it in the process. Most places won't bother to try to accommodate customers by shipping USPS.

            JL.............
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

            THINK HARDER

            BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

            MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

            Comment


            • #21
              What I don't get is items shipped UPS which deliver them to the post office then to me?

              Comment


              • #22
                I've never had the USPS deliver a UPS package.

                Brian

                Originally posted by flylo View Post
                What I don't get is items shipped UPS which deliver them to the post office then to me?
                OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

                THINK HARDER

                BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

                MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by strokersix View Post
                  Cut up a nodular iron engine crankshaft. I have not personally done this but should yield good quality material. junk cranks should be available for scrap price or free.
                  Thought about that but I thought cranks were forged steed. ????

                  Pete
                  1973 SB 10K .
                  BenchMaster mill.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Most cranks are cast iron or nodular iron is my understanding. Steel cranks are considered performance cranks because they are stronger and less apt to breakage.

                    Brian

                    Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
                    Thought about that but I thought cranks were forged steed. ????

                    Pete
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

                    THINK HARDER

                    BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

                    MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X