No announcement yet.

hit-and-miss mailbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love it!! Thanks for sharing the pics. I am a long time subscriber to "Gas Engine Magazine". No diss intended VP I have a few of yer magazines also, all of HSM magazine, from 82-now. GEM is a great resource also. Thanks for the writeup Allan. JR

Comment

Originally posted by Daveb View Post
      Nice mailbox! If I left an engine outside my house it would not be there the next morning.
      Dave
      Ah, yes, the Pikeys. Straight down to the local dodgy scrappy's. Another reason i moved.

Comment

I am kind of curious why the mailbox motor is tied off so it can't be turned over? Is it just a safety thing or is the motor set at tdc with all valves closed in order to keep water out and the inside good yet?
        Andy

Comment

I had my mailbox mounted on a wooden post. Two winters in a row, the county snowplow hit it with the wing plow and broke the post off. (We get about 1 metre of snow here each winter, with snow-banks reaching 1.5 M high.) I designed a cantilevered steel post with a spring loaded "swing away" arm so that if it got hit it would swing out of the way without damaging the post. The next week I got a letter from the county, stating that if my "metal mailbox support" damaged the wing plow I would be held responsible for damages to the plow!!---Brian
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
            I am kind of curious why the mailbox motor is tied off so it can't be turned over? Is it just a safety thing or is the motor set at tdc with all valves closed in order to keep water out and the inside good yet?
            Engine immobilized to keep the curious from turning the flywheel and getting their finger caught in places they don't belong. Insurance reasons.

Would think that this engine was relegated to mailbox post duty because: too worn, cracked water jacket, too many missing parts, etc.

Comment

Here is the Lister poster visible in photo #3.

[edit] apparently too big for photobucket

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                ............ or is the motor set at tdc with all valves closed in order to keep water out and the inside good yet?
                I doubt that is the reason as the engine apparently has no valves in it!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                  Engine immobilized to keep the curious from turning the flywheel and getting their finger caught in places they don't belong. Insurance reasons.
                  Yes, I expect to stop the curious turning the flywheel but this is NZ so we can practically discount insurance concerns.

Comment

Originally posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
                    I doubt that is the reason as the engine apparently has no valves in it!
                    I see that now, I have never played with a hit and miss at all and would have never noticed that.
                    Andy

Comment

Check out my tag line below.

I think the plow driver was having fun wiping out your mailbox and now you ruined that. Time for new county leaders.

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                      I had my mailbox mounted on a wooden post. Two winters in a row, the county snowplow hit it with the wing plow and broke the post off. (We get about 1 metre of snow here each winter, with snow-banks reaching 1.5 M high.) I designed a cantilevered steel post with a spring loaded "swing away" arm so that if it got hit it would swing out of the way without damaging the post. The next week I got a letter from the county, stating that if my "metal mailbox support" damaged the wing plow I would be held responsible for damages to the plow!!---Brian
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Working...
                      X