Will kerosene melt a plastic bucket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will kerosene melt a plastic bucket?

Just bought a Lowe's blue plastic bucket and lid and 3 gallons of kerosene.

Gonna put 3 gallons of dirty kerosene used in a parts cleaner into the bucket with the lid on and set it outside to let the particles settle out. I'll put the new kerosene in the parts cleaner. Should the bucket hold up okay?

What kind of plastic is the bucket made with ?

Comment

Chances are it will be OK, but it does depend on the type of plastic. The only way you will know for sure is to try it. I would put an inch or so of the kerosene in the bottom of the bucket and come back in a couple of hours.

I once tried to soak a small part in some solvent (can't remember which) in one of those small, white plastic drinking cups. I came back in an hour or two and the solvent and the bottom half of the cup were spread in a thin layer across the workbench. Other solvents, like alcohol and freon TF worked just fine in those cups.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

It all depends on the actual plastic but I would suspect it to be safe.
        Around here most petroleum products like lubricating oils, solvents, and kerosene have come in plastic pails, jugs, and drums for at least 30 years.
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I'm careful/paranoid about such things. I once put gasoline in a plastic pan to clean some parts and the pan melted before my eyes. Fortunately the pan was out in the driveway.

Thanks guys.

Comment

I drained 2 gallons of hydraulic oil into a plastic bucket when I was doing work on my excavator and left it in the cab on the floor for a couple of days. It had softened and penetrated and was starting to leak out.

Kerosene and hydraulic oil are both hydrocarbons. The oil comes in 25 litre MDPE drums so the bucket must be something else !

Comment

Have a look underneath the bucket, nowadays the type of material is marked for recycling purposes. Then google code to find out more. HDPP and HDPE should be ok.

Comment

I have never heard of kerosene melting anything,---But try it and see. I KNOW that paint thinners will dissolve a plastic yogurt container---messy---very messy---
                Brian Rupnow

Comment

Yah, it would be interesting to know if anyone can name ANY plastic that can be dissolved by kerosene. I cannot.
                  Mike
                  WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Lowes buckets are HDPE. I have an old paint bucket lid on one. I put my old motor oil, dirty mineral spirits and dirty parts washing diesel. I give it to a local farmer for his tractor shed heater.

Comment

If you light it, it might

Comment

I grew up in the era of "coal oil" (kerosene) lamps---(Hydro electric didn't run to my part of Canada until 1953.) People kept coal oil in every kind of container imaginable. I know of one instance where some was stored in a gin bottle. Big party, lots of liquor, and a kid drank half the bottle in one long gulp before he realized what it was. That made for a quick trip to the nearest town where they had a Red Cross hospital and a stomach pump. No long lasting after effects, but that was 50 years ago and that guy has smelled the top of every bottle he's drank out of since.
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Kerosene is very safe on plastics. So are motor oils and most greases (Uncontaminated with gasoline).

Gasoline is VERY hard on plastics.
                          Laqure thinner/paint thinner is often extremely hard on plastics.

The better it cleans, the better it dissolves plastics.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

You are aware that there are tens of thousands of different plastics. Perhaps hundreds of thousands by now.

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                            Yah, it would be interesting to know if anyone can name ANY plastic that can be dissolved by kerosene. I cannot.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                              Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              You are aware that there are tens of thousands of different plastics. Perhaps hundreds of thousands by now.
                              http://www.calpaclab.com/chemical-compatibility-charts/

You could just buy a container made for storage of Kerosene, the blue ones, but where's the fun in that?

Comment

Working...
                              X