Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

drill press columns- useful to re-purpose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill press columns- useful to re-purpose?

Title says it all. For some reason today I was thinking about cast steel vs cast iron- then it occurred to me that drill press columns are a cast product (every one that I've seen anyway), and are machined on the outside. That should make them a good starting point for a project of some kind- sleeve for a spindle perhaps, or maybe the spindle itself depending on the diameter. Having had a need for a large through-hole spindle at times, I've entertained the idea of making one, and the idea of using pipe usually throws me off because of the weld seam for one, and the lack of precision in the fabricating of it for another. Who knows- maybe a drill press column could be a good starting material.

Other things like this are the tubes you find on power feed assemblies for wood shapers, etc.

I have seen lathes using a round tube for a bed, mostly wood lathes, but still it's a machined piece where the OD is 'ready to go'. Thoughts?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Just WHERE does one find "spare" drill press columns? OTOH, Durabar sells hollow cast, either grey or ductile. What size would you like?
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

There is such a thing as "DOM" tube (Drawn over mandrel) which is smooth and available in different steel alloys. Probably much more suitable for a lot of uses, and in the US is available from mcMaster, Online Metals, Speedy Metals, etc, etc. Surely you have some equivalent source up there.
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy View Post
        Just WHERE does one find "spare" drill press columns? OTOH, Durabar sells hollow cast, either grey or ductile. What size would you like?
        I am selling one at the Kernville airport annual mens only swap meet tomorrow. Come on by, it starts at six. Hot dogs .50$ soft drinks ,the same.
        It is a stripped camel back, no gears, no spindle. Has a good column and the table slides on the column.
        No girl stuff allowed for sale!

Comment

darryl, knuckle head. Case Iron posts are larger I think, for the mass. sOLLY again, i dont read much. I am so slow..... I am prolly way behind the discussion-. JR

Comment

I see these things at flea markets and yard sales from time to time. Usually the 'entry level' type of dp, complete with sloppy quill, no table height crank, motor missing, etc, going cheap. I do have a source for DOM but it's $$$ here.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

A slip roll!
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                A slip roll!
                Andy you keep quiet until you build the thing. No more posting in any threads until you at least can post some progress pictures. Now shut up and get busy.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                X