Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT..largest guage shotgun?

Hello all,
    Does anyone know what the largest guage shotgun is? It does not have to be a hand held, hunting type firearm. I remember reading something about a tool used to clean out kilns and ceramic slurry tumblers that used a 1 guage shotgun shell and silica beads. Is there something bigger than a 1 guage?
    Thanks...
    Greg

I've heard of 4 guage, but never 1 gauge, geez.
    If you got a 1 guage, I dare you to shoot some magnum slugs with it against your shoulder.

Comment

By definition, there can't be.

According to the way I learned it, shotguns were 'gauged' according to the number of round lead balls that could be made from 1# of lead. The old shot guns would shoot a single, round ball of lead - a shot.

On a .410, that's really a caliber and not a gauge so that's an exception.

The barrel of a 12 ga. would allow a 1/12 pound ball of lead pass. So a 1 ga. should allow a 1# ball of lead to pass!!! This sounds rather bizarre so I'd doubt there's such a thing as a 1 ga. shotgun.

I know I've heard of modern 10 ga. shotguns used for goose hunting and I'm not sure but there may have been an 8 ga. at one time.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 06-21-2004).]

Comment

A number of the old radial engines used a very large shotgun style shell for starting. I don't know what guage they are but they are in some cases much larger than 10 guage. No shot of course.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Several years back I was at Harold's Club in Reno Nevada, heck of a gun collection! They had a 4 gauge if I remember correctly, it was a "Flock" gun and mounted in the front of a boat. Just shoot into the flock and go pick em' up!

Comment

ever hear of a "punt gun"? It was used by market hunters way back when. There's one in a museum at Ocean Shores that had a 2" barrel. The paper cartridges were big as ears of corn.

Comment

Like the shells used in 'Flight of the Phoenix', to start the airplane engine?

Comment

Look up punt guns and english shotgun also check out these links http://www.chuckhawks.com/intro_gauges.htm
                shotgun gauge chart

Comment

The largest legal gauge in the US, in most states is 10 gauge. Before the turn of the last century market hunters would use 4 or even two. These weren't exactly shoulder fired weapons. They'd hunt at night when the ducks and geese were roosting on the water.
                  Sometimes I wish they'd come back and take care of the goose population out here.

Comment

I have seen 10 gauge goose guns and an 8 gauge guns that are used for putting a large cow down.

Some gun shop in the area has a small 8 gauge cannon for sale.

Jerry

Comment

I saw a 4 guage shotgun shell in a small museum in central BC, about 22 years ago. It was Kelowna, Kamloops, Pentictin or somewhere about there. I was a kid then and it was a big shell. Much to big I think to go in a handheld gun. Here are a few links proving the 4 guage exists.The second link has a good picture of a "Punt Gun" half way down the page.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/ammo_s042002.html

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/impract.htm

Mike

Comment

Remington makes and sells kiln guns for knocking slag from roatry kilns.

Comment

There's nothing preventing the creation of, say, a 1/2 gauge shotgun. That would be a bore with a diameter such that a pure lead ball of that size would weigh 2lbs. However, I think once you get to that size you're probably talking artilery! The largest I've personally seen are some old 2 gauge guns in black powder...

Comment

The largest shotgun shell that I've seen personally is a 2 gauge. It's huge!

Comment

Since you said it does not have to be hand held, lets not forget 24 pound cannon (about 6"bore)
                              They use to fire "Grape shot" before boarding a ship. This was nothing more than a canister of iron pellets (grapes)....and produced the same effect..
                              Also, the old "Blunder Busses" were black powder shot guns..loaded with nails,rocks etc.
                              Saw one with a 2 inch bore from Spanish Navy in a museum over the pond.
                              Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X