Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting brake drums?

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

I expect you'd see 300*F on a brake drum, maybe even 350*F under hard use.

Roger
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

It will look nice for about a week, and the paint will flake off because of the heat. I've tried different, so called, "high temperature paint", but they just don't last. Ergg...

Comment

Engine paint won't do but wood stove paint might work well (assuming you want black). It will take nearly red heat.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

back in High school, one day we took IR heat guns and measured the disc brakes on my Camry after I did some hard breaking.
          I can't remember the actual number, but it was over 450 degrees, I think..

Comment

The stove paint should do the trick. I would like to know what makes it hold up so well.

Comment

I got a catalog from the folks in this link, which has been posted here before in anodizing discussions:
              http://www.caswellplating.com/

I haven't tried it, but they offer some paint claimed to withstand 1500 degF. (Spray cans @ $9 ea.)
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I use catylised single stage urethane over sanblasted drums and zinc phosphate primer. Did the calipers and drums on the austin healey about 12 years (5000 miles or so) ago. Still looks great and it matches the body color exact (guards red)

Comment

BTDT on the bbg grill paint,works well and lasts,also good for other things,like headers,I put mine on,run the engine around for a few days till the factory oil/coating burns and turns a good dusty red,then remove and sandblast inside and out,then paint inside and out,lasts and lasts.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I did the crossover box on the honda exhaust system with barbeque paint. The first application ( a few coats ) lasted ok, but after I cleaned and recoated it, about a year later, without scratching down to bare metal, it seemed to be more durable.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
                    X