need a source for key stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a source for key stock

Can anyone suggest a source for key stock for use with drive shafts. Preferably I would like to get a small assortment of perhaps a half a dozen of all the most popular small sizes (like up to 3/8 inch). Granger sells a kit but it has over 150 items and is almost $100. Way too much for my small home shop.

I bought a pack of 5/32 recently from MSC. That seems to be a rare size. About 3 or $4 I think. Five 12" pcs/pack.

Comment

Enco offers a 31 pc. 1/8" to 1/2" assortment for $42. I pieced out an assortment from J&L and McMaster Carr, they are sold individually for very little each.

Comment

Most industrial suppliers have it in stock. At places like farm machinery dealers and bearing shops you can buy as much or as little as you need. Some hardware stores also carry key stock.
        To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Comment

I just buy what I need in 12 inch length from KBC tools. It's on page 737 of their current catalog. I have founf most of my sae stuff to be based up 3/16 or 1/4 inch, generally rectangular. They have nice "packages" with the usable sizes in them.

Jerry

Comment

If you are looking for a small assortment, I don't know. But as others have already said, it can be purchased in 12" and even shorter lengths from a variety of sources including local hardware and home centers, McMaster, other internet and mail order suppliers, farm supply stores, even appliance parts houses. I have a couple of sizes (1/4, 3/16, 1/8) in the shop and just buy additional ones as needed. It's not expensive.

Paul A.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

When I was taking some machining classes, the instructor in the first lathe course handed out pieces of keystock (3/8" or so) for us to use to practice toolbit grinding. Lots easier and faster than with real toolbits. Less expensive too!

Comment

Cold rolled square bar,its on size,its cheap,its in 6 and 12' lengths and its the same as the zinc plated keystock that you have to file.I cut keys from 1/16" to 1-1/2" day in day out,never have any problems.Thats my story and I'm sticking to it
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                X