Accidently mixed motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accidently mixed motor oil

Changed oil in my truck yesterday and realized I put in 5 quarts of 5W-30 and 1 quart of 5W-20. Should have been all 5W-30. It is all the same brand of oil. Will this be a problem? Some how I managed to buy one quart of oil that is the wrong weight.
    Jim
    So much to learn, so little time

I wouldent thought it would hurt myself, you just have somwhere like 5W-25 ish in there now i suppose
    Mark

Comment

Actually 5W-28.3
      Jim

Comment

Cold weather coming...live with it...
        Joe

Comment

Heat is one of motor oil's worst enemies. If the mistake had to occur this is the time of year for it since it's getting cooler. It probably won't hurt anything. Maybe just shorten your change interval for the next oil change a bit or if you use a little oil add a quart of 5w-40 to top off.

Comment

Check your owner's manual. Usually there a multiple oils listed depending upon the temperature range expected for the vehicle. I would expect it shows 5W-20 for a low range, like in the winter. Unless the manual says "Do not under any circumstance put in anything except 5W-30" which I doubt, you should be fine.

Steve

Comment

If someone said to drain it all out and change it,
              would you??

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Truck is ruined beyond salvage and is dangerous to drive.

Load it on a flatbed and send it me, I'll dispose of it properly. PM me for my address and fee schedule.
                This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Comment

Won't hurt a thing.

JL.................

Comment

With colder weather coming your truck will thank you.

Brian
                    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Unless the 5W20 oil you used does not meet the service classification required by the manufacturer (which I highly doubt) your engine will never know the difference.
                      Don't worry about it another moment, at east you changed the oil, more than most do on a regular basis.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by outback View Post
                        Actually 5W-28.3
                        Jim
                        Right - won't change a thing - perfect time of the year to error to this side,

back in the day I used to mix and match my own stuff to come up with 15w45 --- all the same brand - did not matter other than viscosity...

take it out - warm it up nice and then beat on it, will make you feel better and give you confidence...

Comment

Buy some reading glasses, they suck but I use then so much I wear them on a strap around my neck. Probably look like a librarian with a fukk beard but it beats finding them, taking them out of a case them setting them down & losing them.
                          "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                          world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                          country, in easy stages."
                          ~ James Madison

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                            If someone said to drain it all out and change it,
                            would you??

-Doozer
                            Yes I would. The vehicle is actually my 2004 Winnebago Brave motorhome. I have not started the engine yet. So, now would be a good time to change the oil if that would be best.

Even though both grades of motor oil were Quaker State Brand.

My concern is this and I'll use 10W-40 as an example. Many years ago (30) 10W-40 oil had several times the viscosity savers in it that 10W-30 had. These viscosity savers are not necessarily good lubricants. Therefore, 10W-40 was only superior to 10W-30 when used in extreme applications such as towing heavy objects at high speeds. I actually had a couple of 302 Ford engines that failed running 10W-40. I can't swear the oil caused the problems but I did learn there was no need for me to be using 10W-40 in a vehicle commuting to work.

Since that experience I tend to do my homework when it comes to motor oils that are used in my
                            4-stroke and 2-cycle engines. For this reason, I drive my old vehicles to the scrap yard because they are
                            rusted out from road salt not because the engines have failed.

If I would have added a quart of 10W-40 to my motorhome crankcase, I would drain it out and start over.
                            But, since the mistake was 5W-20 with fewer viscosity savers instead of more, I think I'll be okay. Manual recommends changing the oil every 3000 miles anyway. So...when I get back from Florida in the spring the oil will get changed.

Thanks,
                            Jim
                            Last edited by outback; 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by outback View Post
                              These viscosity savers are not necessarily good lubricants. Therefore, 10W-40 was only superior to 10W-30 when used in extreme applications such as towing heavy objects at high speeds.

even that's a tough call, towing heavy objects at high speeds creates lots of friction, lot's of friction of course creates lots of heat --- your right the 10W40 has more additives that are not lubricants - they are polymers that break down with heat and become thermally unstable --- so 10W40 is not necessarily the best choice in that situation - actually a 20W40 would be superior to both a 10W30 or 10W40 in that situation --- the narrower the band the better the oil esp. with non-synthetics - but the catch is as long as it's suited for the climate your driving in also...

Comment

Working...
                              X