Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does your spouse know about what you do ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does your spouse know about what you do ?

I'm curious what your respective spouse/significant one understands what goes on and what's in your shop. A recent exchange between my wife and myself went as follows:

While providing directions to find something in the garage,

Me: "it's on the toolbox to the right of the lathe"

Her: "what's the lathe ?"

Pause..........

Me: "you know the big machine I stand at all the time ?"

Her: "oh, ok"

So how does your wife/spouse measure up ? And how much time do you invest in explaining what's what in the shop and what it does ?
    Gary

Appearance is Everything...

She knows I disappear into the building out behind the house, isn't that enough.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Ha!... Similar conversation with my wife:

Wife: Your drill thingy came today.

Me: What drill thingy?

Wife: you know, the drill bit for that drill looking thing that's not a drill, or so you say, that you are always working on.

Me: you mean the end mill for the milling machine?

Wife: Whatever....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Co-Worker to wife: What is he building out in the shop?
        Wife: Not sure
        Co-Worker: I think he is building a robot army...

Comment

My wife, I am proud to say, knows exactly what all my machinery is, and what it does. She has complicated sewing machines, and knows how to service them. If I am carefully following a drawing on my Deckel GK-21 pantograph and using both hands, she is great at raising and lowering the cutter spindle. She did a great job in teaching sixth grade science for years. We will celebrate 59 years of marriage next March.

Jim

Comment

I say a little now and then about significant events like getting the Quorn almost to completion but I don't think she has any idea what that means. I might as well say my turboencabulator is finally working.
            "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

We had a couple visit for the first time a few weeks ago. The wife & I showed them around the house. When we entered my shop, she explained this is where I drill the holes in jar lids for our grandson's bug collection.
              Jim H.

Comment

The Shop Wench has a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. She makes all my Cad drawings, is my IT guy and a computer whiz. She helps make parts in the shop if I get overloaded. She also has a Bachelor's Degree in French and another in Psychology. She is a good cook and sometimes makes tasty dishes from her (written in) French cookbooks. We also shoot together in pistol matches. She's a pretty good shot, but I can hold my own. We both reload our own match ammo.

I think I am pretty lucky to find her!
                Kansas City area

Comment

My wife knows everything - cost of things, what's going on with my machines, and is my "sounding board" for issues/concerns that I have with my machining or workshop purchases/disposals.

Why should she not know?

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                    The Shop Wench has a Master's Degree in Mechanical Engineering. She makes all my Cad drawings, is my IT guy and a computer whiz. She helps make parts in the shop if I get overloaded. She also has a Bachelor's Degree in French and another in Psychology. She is a good cook and sometimes makes tasty dishes from her (written in) French cookbooks. We also shoot together in pistol matches. She's a pretty good shot, but I can hold my own. We both reload our own match ammo.

I think I am pretty lucky to find her!
                    You suck!

(Meant in the friendliest way possible, and does she have a sister?)

Comment

She might qualify as a gloat, although not machinery or tools. Sorry, no sisters.
                      Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by JCHannum View Post
                        We had a couple visit for the first time a few weeks ago. The wife & I showed them around the house. When we entered my shop, she explained this is where I drill the holes in jar lids for our grandson's bug collection.
                        Glad I didn't have a mouth full of coffee when I read that, hilarious.

Comment

Hey, no picture, no gloat. Them's the rules.

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
                          She might qualify as a gloat, although not machinery or tools. Sorry, no sisters.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

"I'm so happy! I finally got a milling machine."

"What does it do?"

"It mills."

"Fine, don't tell me."

"What's in that package?"

""My new set of large drill bits."

"You already have drill bits."

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                              She knows I disappear into the building out behind the house, isn't that enough.
                              Exactly! At least she thinks she knows what I'm doing. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X