Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POS Bridgeport with POS CNC for sale... have question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POS Bridgeport with POS CNC for sale... have question.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/tls/5305676497.html

Considering this for a project -- it would no longer be a milling machine when we are done with it... Do have a question though something caught my eye.

SERIES 1 CNC VERTICAL MILL, vertical, Max. 4200 rpm

ADJUSTABLE V-RAM ON HEAD POSITIONING
    CONTROLLER BOSS 5
    TABLE SIZE 12-1/2' x 34"
    TABLE TRAVEL X 18"
    SADDLE TRAVEL Y 12"
    QUILL TRAVEL Z 5"
    KNEE TRAVEL 16"
    RAPID TRAVERSE X Y Z 120 IPM
    PROGRAMMABLE FEEDRATES .2 - 32 IPM
    SPINDLE SPEEDS 60-4200 RPM
    SPINDLE MOTOR 2 HP
    SPINDLE TAPER #200 UNIVERSAL QUICK CHANGE
    THROAT DISTANCE 6-3/4" - 18-3/4"
    TABLE LOAD CAPACITY 300 LBS
    ELECTRICAL REQUIREMENTS 230/460V, 3PH
    POWER DRAW BAR

Never heard of this. It's largely moot as I would need exactly one tool-holder, locked in place occasionally removing it to service the *redacted* on the *redacted*. Basically I want to turn it into a giant *redacted* using a supposedly foolproof universal conversion kit. They claim this collection of Audrino boards and Raspberry Pi modules can convert cold iron like this into a *redacted* along with a few other easy to fabricate modules and pieces.

On paper it looks like a fun project for the winter...
    This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Those quick change adapters are very nice. I bought something from a machine shop and they had one on their Bridgeport. I think it was made by Royal. It worked very well. He said the 100 series was more desirable as there was more tooling available in that size.

Comment

200 universal quick switch tooling,good system,not as common as some others.I picked up some NOS 300 series TG100 collet chucks for $1 each.Was going to convert one into an indexer spindle,but never got around to it.

Some examples of the species-
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/1719666...chn=ps&lpid=82
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My BP has this spindle.
        Quick Switch tooling is very good stuff and not too hard to find.
        I don't understand why the ad says power draw bar since you don't use a draw bar to hold the tooling in place.
        It really doesn't matter if you will only need one tool holder.

THANX RICH
        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Just one or two. I plan on converting this into a giant 3D printer just for fun.

The CNC is crap, The conversion kit I speak of addresses that. Runs the existing motors. All I need is X Y and Z, the extruder drive is handled on-board on this design.

Figure it's worth a shot. If it doesn't work out *shrug* at least I have the investment in the effort.
          This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
            My BP has this spindle.
            Quick Switch tooling is very good stuff and not too hard to find.
            I don't understand why the ad says power draw bar since you don't use a draw bar to hold the tooling in place.
            It really doesn't matter if you will only need one tool holder.

THANX RICH
            The machine probably came with the power draw bar, then the quick change body was added later. I have a machine with a power draw bar and they are really handy. Sometimes the r8 quick change body has to be removed for things like the 90 degree attachment so the air power draw bar is fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Handed Spud Wrench View Post
              Just one or two. I plan on converting this into a giant 3D printer just for fun.

You won't get it travelling fast enough for a 3D printer, too much metal to move.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner View Post
                The machine probably came with the power draw bar, then the quick change body was added later. I have a machine with a power draw bar and they are really handy. Sometimes the r8 quick change body has to be removed for things like the 90 degree attachment so the air power draw bar is fast.
                They did come stock with the quick change system.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                  You won't get it travelling fast enough for a 3D printer, too much metal to move.
                  +1 right there.

Dalee
                  If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                    I routinely print at speeds of 15 to 45mm per second for accuracy. Accuracy and such falls off as the speed of the head increases. I can print at 150mm/s on my CTC machine but the parts look like crap.

This machine can't do 45mm per second? I could have sworn otherwise -- but I could also be misremembering.

Comment

looks a lot like the one in my garage- but mines a little older (#cnc472) and has QC30 taper- and a Fanuc 0T-A retrofitted. the quick change holders of all sizes pop up on ebay pretty often.
                      from what I remember (was a lonnnng time ago) the bridgeport steppers are really noisy, and dont rapid very fast at all- guessing it mighta been 60 IPM or so, and sounded like a siren doing that the axes are all timing belt driven, so a pulley/belt change could get you faster- but at a proportional resolution loss.
                      I would keep a eye out for a non-running one if you dont intend to use controls- ive seen them go for 750-ish, got mine for free just to get it out of there...but the control was pretty expensive

love the Arduinos. got some for the kids to get dabbling in programming last winter, I couldnt put them down...almost got one to read a fanuc alpha64 serial encoder, played arund extracting hall commutation from a haas encoder, very addicting- I can see a lot of little 'tools' that could be based on them. the new firmware released last week includes graphing of serial data- just still no highspeed buffer that would be needed for the fanuc serials- yet. these little things are growing in ability very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by tc429 View Post
                        looks a lot like the one in my garage- but mines a little older (#cnc472) and has QC30 taper- and a Fanuc 0T-A retrofitted. the quick change holders of all sizes pop up on ebay pretty often.
                        from what I remember (was a lonnnng time ago) the bridgeport steppers are really noisy, and dont rapid very fast at all- guessing it mighta been 60 IPM or so, and sounded like a siren doing that the axes are all timing belt driven, so a pulley/belt change could get you faster- but at a proportional resolution loss.
                        I would keep a eye out for a non-running one if you dont intend to use controls- ive seen them go for 750-ish, got mine for free just to get it out of there...but the control was pretty expensive

love the Arduinos. got some for the kids to get dabbling in programming last winter, I couldnt put them down...almost got one to read a fanuc alpha64 serial encoder, played arund extracting hall commutation from a haas encoder, very addicting- I can see a lot of little 'tools' that could be based on them. the new firmware released last week includes graphing of serial data- just still no highspeed buffer that would be needed for the fanuc serials- yet. these little things are growing in ability very quickly.
                        Take a look at the Raspberry Pi and other one-board-wonder computers out there. Some of the stuff the folks in my hackerspace dream up scare me. These aren't engineers by any means but they are rigging up high-speed do-it-now automations and rigs of all sorts just for fun. One fellow designed a machine for crimping caps of his own design around beer-bottle tops. Another fellow built a complete CNC-mill/laser-engraver/3D printer using a discarded gantry-router and hacked together a custom control scheme. He can switch from one mode to the other to work on a part near seamlessly. Funny part is he's a short-order chef not a controls engineer. This is just a hobby to him.

So unless I hear otherwise I may give this POS a shove and look for something a bit faster/better.

Comment

Boss machines of that vintage came with Universal Kwik switch 200 or Erickson quick change 30 tooling I know that the kwik switch 200 spindle was not bored thru so why the power draw bar as for the Erickson spindle I don't know if they were bored thru if so then you could use an power draw bar but that kills the feature of the quick change and you would need a custom draw bar ken

Comment

Originally posted by tc429 View Post
                            looks a lot like the one in my garage- but mines a little older (#cnc472) and has QC30 taper-
                            mine has a 30 taper as well with a drawbar....but also has quick release mechanism, you can use either - what are they called, is that the Erickson?

That's a lot of iron to drip plastic. Any anything that makes a bport a pos they avoided on these.....they are big and solid. I ripped off all the old electronics and side box, left the back one. Its conversion to Yaskawa AC brushless servos is largely complete....just need to wire it.
                            Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-08-2015, 11:08 PM.

Comment

I ran a 1984 Hurco with a 200 Kwik Switch on it for a while. That one was a knee mill and the Kwik Switch holder had an R8 shank, therefore needed the draw bar. It's a good system but makes your hand tired if you do a lot of tool changes.
                              There are lots of holders on eBay fairly cheap for 200 and 300 size.

Comment

Working...
                              X