VIDEO: Fixed Gantry CNC Router build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIDEO: Fixed Gantry CNC Router build

After a close call at almost buying on of those ebay-special desktop CNC routers
    I decided to try my hand at a home-built; got my video camera along for the ride too.

Fixed gantry / Moving bed (Y axis) .. about 36" x 15" (900x400) with 8" (200mm) of Z.

biggest problem I ran into so far is a suitable spindle.. in the meantime I purchased a
    1.5kW import spindle with VFD but its much too fast (on paper, haven't tried it yet). it'd
    be great to find the head off of a small milling machine.

Anyway, here's Part 1 for now.. if there's interest I'll post the others as I get through them.

-Tony

Awesome!

(and extra points for getting the children involved)

sam

Comment

More! More!

Ed
      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

LittleMachineShop.com sells the minimill head, motor etc as separate items.

Comment

Great video Tony. To the rest of you all Tony's voice reminds me of someone's on TV but I can't place it. Every time I watch one of your videos Tony I keep wracking my brain whose voice is that.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Thanks all! gary: good tip, I'll look into that.

Black: i've been told on more than one occasion that I sound like Alan Alda -- maybe he the guy you're thinking about?

I once did a video with the Mash intro / theme music but pulled it last minute in fear of the youtube police.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
              Thanks all! gary: good tip, I'll look into that.

Black: i've been told on more than one occasion that I sound like Alan Alda -- maybe he the guy you're thinking about?

I once did a video with the Mash intro / theme music but pulled it last minute in fear of the youtube police.
              I had thought of Alan actually but in my mind it is someone who does one of those home improvement shows.

I looked at your video today of your rebuild of a cheap drill press. Maybe I will repurpose mine to mount on my drilling and tapping arm for my fixturing table.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

There's a spindle on Amazon that's supposed to be pretty good. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...iglink20859-20. The person that got one says it's about 2HP and 20,000 RPM. He has one and is getting 2 more.
                Last edited by Toolguy; 11-09-2015, 01:57 PM.
                Kansas City area

Comment

Toolguy, that's exactly the one I have -- I mean I bought it on ebay but I'm going to go out on a ledge and wager
                  they're all from the same place. I'm hoping my machine will turn out rigid enough to mill steel (albeit in bitty steps)..
                  just getting 2D contours out of mild steel plate would really help in the shop.

But even with carbide the spindle speeds for those import motors is too high.. they really are meant for wood/engraving,
                  though I think I can pull off aluminum (with carbide) just fine. The ER16 collets only go up to 10mm if I'm not mistaken
                  so we're talking small cutters.

That said I'll definitely keep you posted to how this performs.

My first video once the machine is done will be of a reduced shank 2" flycutter at 24k rpm. - I kid I kid!

Comment

That is really really close to how I had planned to build one. I just havent had the time to get started. If I ever get around to building it I also hope to mill aluminum and steel with it. I dont expect it to be a HAAS or anything but I have the time to wait for it to cut.

Ill be interested in how yours performs.

Have you thought about possible building your own spindle ??

Comment

Absolutely excellent !! Please post more progress.
                      I'll keep the spacer idea in mind on my next tig weld project.

Brian
                      Toolznthings

Comment

Great video and the beginning of a great build. Keep them coming.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Tony,I could have sworn you were taller in your last vid

Looks good so far,I think I would have stress relieved the channel and flat bar first.The linear rail surface I would have buttered with some metal filled epoxy and plunked it face down on an oiled Bridgeport table while it cured.That would have gave you two coplanar straight surfaces to receive the linear rails without machining the channel IMHO.

Keep'm coming though,much better than anything on TV!
                          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

that was fun! better than working, that's for sure

You should consider narrating documentaries, you have a very pleasant voice to listen to, especially for an American No David Attenborough, but he is a giant among men.

Comment

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback -- let's hope this thing turns out right -- no pressure now, huh?!

Comment

Working...
                              X