Mystery Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Thread

I am working on an old Jet (Taiwanese ) lathe. The lathe is composed of a confusing mixture of imperial and metric fasteners. One of the exposed gear spindles has a male thread that I can't figure out. In inches the thread is .501" - 11 1/2 TPI. In metric it is 12.68mm - 2.0 thread. I can't find a M13 thread anywhere locally, and the same is true for a 1/2"- 11.5 nut. A M12 or M14 -2.0 will nor fit nor will a 1/2"-13. The metric and imperial thread spacing measurement as very close but not dead on. Am I missing something?

Randy
    Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Yes.

It's the oldest STANDARD thread in the book 1/2" x 12 Whitworth.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Your two "measurements" of the thread pitch do not make sense. An M2 thread translates to exactly 12.7 TPI but you say 11.5 TPI. One of them is off and it sounds like Sir John's guess of 12 TPI may be the best that can be said with that set of data.

I would suggest making a better measurement. Use magnification and look for differences (air gaps) between the thread gauges and the thread. I think one of those will be off in one direction and the other one in the other. You could check it with a 24 or 36 TPI gauge and see if one of those matches on every second or every third notch on the gauge.
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
      You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

yep.. I find a a lot of 1/2-12 on import machinery, even stuff made now. Blame the British Empire and Hong Kong.

Comment

I think they're in cahoots!

Comment

Make yourself a nut. A long time ago many nuts were square. Square stock is easy to find.
            gvasale

Comment

Mystery solved!
              I went back an measured again. It is half - 12. Somehow I managed to overlook the 12 pitch gauge. I sure thought I used it, but obviously didn't 8(

Thanks for the help.
              Randy
              Do yourself a favor and see if your TV carrier has America One News Network (AONN). 208 on Uverse. It is good old fashion news, unlike the networks, with no hype, bias or other BS.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                I think they're in cahoots!
                We gave it back to them Chinese, they wouldn't go metric.
                Mark

Comment

Working...
                X