Horizontel Band Saw Blade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Horizontel Band Saw Blade Question

Will a bymetal saw blade last twice as long ( or longer )then a carbon steel blade

Not if all the teeth get ripped of while trying to cut something too thin, too hard, or just jumps out of the vise.

Bi-metal shines in predictable condition. Not really worth the money in the HS where the need is cut such a variety of materials.

When is the last time you just "wore out" a saw blade? More common is to destroy the teeth on one side or the other.

Comment

Yep. Properly used a quality bi-metal will easily outlast carbon. The initial cost is higher but the total cost of ownership
      is much lower.

Pete
      1973 SB 10K .
      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

As CalM said, how often are bandsaws used properly.
        The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I bean buying the olson blades i do a lot of cutting with my horizontel band saw . Yes the blade does get dull. I mostly cut 1018 or 1020 2 1/2 dia. mild steel. Just ordred new blades today and was thinking i maybe should have switched to bymeetal blades witch i never used in my saw bevore to get a longer live of the blade.
          Thanks for the imput

Comment

I have found in my saws the bi-metal blades last 3-5 times longer. I use my equipment properly and take care of it. No blade will go very long with misuse and abuse.

Comment

If you try a good bi-metal, variable pitch blade you'll never go back.

Comment

What brand do you recomend

Comment

I use Lenox Diemaster 2. Superb.

Most of mine come from here http://www.bandsawbladesdirect.com/b...and-saw-blades

Comment

I use Morse. There's a good 'web' price from Enco all the time for my size. (Old Taiwanese 4X6) I really like the 10-14 variable pitch, as it does a good job on a wide range of materials and thicknesses.
                    Last edited by chipmaker4130; 11-12-2015, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Lennox Diemaster II is my blade of choice, abused or not. I can get 6 months out of one if I'm careful, but I have a hard time getting a week from a carbon blade. It ain't anywhere near worth using them.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Bi Metal blades are the only way to go. What size saw do you have? I have some bi-metal blades for a 4X6 saw that I sold. I'd make you a fair deal on them.

Brian
                        OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I just ordred 2 olson carbon steel blades $ 21.50 bevore i started asking for opinions. If i am lucky 1 will last 1 month but i better use cutting fluid on each cut. The next time it will be bymeatal blades.

Comment

I buy from Sawblade.com,we use their M42 bimetal blades at work.We cut tons of metal per month,mostly structural,but also stainless,aluminum and copper.We average 2 months or better out of a blade running coolant.

https://www.sawblade.com/order-601-s...altbar-m42.cfm

(if you order from them,put "no calls please" in the comments box,otherwise they will bug you)

Bimetal blades do have a break in period as well,we run ours at the lowest feed rate for 3-4 hours before turning up the feed.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks wierdscience

Comment

Working...
                              X