Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: New TV off gassing

EDIT: updated here and in #11

Thought I would surprise the ms with a new LED TV. We disposed of the 20y old CRT unit earlier this year. Hooked it up, test ran, and went out for the evening. She made it home before me. (Inspiration from Best Buy)

The surprise was that she smelled it before she even saw it upon entering the room. Upon returning I had to agree with her. A strong acrid smell almost like burnt hair emanated from the unit. Internet searching suggests the smell will burn off after a few hours of use.

EDIT: Smell is like phenolic or new plastic. Not hot, the unit has been powered off since first day.

Put it in the basement with a fan on it and a window cracked. Basement smelled like new TV the next day. After 3 days the plastic smells normal but original smell still wafts from the tv vents. The ms wants it out of the house and exchanged with a different unit. I’m agreeable but fear that we may run into the same issue with any new tv.

Anyone else have this issue? How long should I try to air it out before giving up?
    Any suggestions of brands to try?

DS
    Last edited by DS_park; 11-16-2015, 08:47 AM. Reason: Clarification on smell, not from heat

Listen to the ms ... no way sounds normal.
    John Titor, when are you.

Comment

I agree, it's not normal. Get another one before the house burns down!

Pete
      1973 SB 10K .
      BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Something is overheating in there.
        This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Comment

Maybe something is overheating- maybe not. I've seen a lot of electronics where various parts are run very hot- a design flaw to me but a cost saving measure for a manufacturer, and built-in failure modes so you get to replace it sometime after the warranty runs out.

These things always seem to smell when new, and there is bound to be a ton of freshly manufactured parts in there. Funny- to me it didn't seem as bad when tvs had 60 vacuum tubes in them, but then there was less plastic back then.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

There is no way that a modern TV should do that. BRING IT BACK and insist on a replacement.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

All electronics have that new smell to them but no way should it be that intense or for that long.

JL.................

Comment

Are you sure that you didn't get it from Harbor Freight? EVERYTHING from that place smells funny for days or weeks after you bring it home.

I've noticed a lot of things from China seem to have "that smell" for a while. Preservative in the packaging? Bug spray? A secret blend of 11 herbs and spices added to the plastic or paint?
                Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

About the only thing that stinks up HF is the "rubber" tires. My eyes water and my nose burns every time I get near them. If you're near them long enough, the smell permeates your clothes. Besides, they don't sell TVs.

But hey, there's a worse stink. HF sells about $2 billion a year. The China Outlet we all know as Walmart sells almost that much EVERY DAY! I was just there buying a battery for the JD crawler for $48.

Comment

The cosmoline on Harbor Freight tools is made from ground up cats.
                    Explains a lot, doesn't it?

-D
                    DZER

Comment

Need to clarify; it is not a hot smell. More like chemical / phenolic / new plastic

The unit has been off gassing with no power on. I believe the majority of the smell is coming from the internal circuit boards and stuff.

Just today I hooked up an antenna wire to let it run and see if that help it off gas faster.

DS

Comment

I just luv that new TV smell - anyone know where I can get an air freshener with it?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          I just luv that new TV smell - anyone know where I can get an air freshener with it?
                          Not sure where you are located but if close to SE Michigan, I can point you to an apparently permanent source of that smell that handily doubles as a LED TV.

DS
                          Last edited by DS_park; 11-16-2015, 08:52 AM. Reason: Location edit

Comment

I was of course joking - that is kinda a sickening smell --- but believe it or not they have that "new car smell" in car air fresheners --- I guess it's supposed to smell like brand spanking new plastic and vinyl --- nice

Whats the date of manufacture on the unit?, you may have one fresh out of the factory, If it's stinking when not in use that's at least a little less alarming so as to hopefully not be related to a meltdown...

I would bet the same brand and model is going to do it too so if you do get another get a completely different make and model...

Comment

Yup, humor was assumed.
                              Its a July 2015 unit. Best Buy had a pre Black Friday sale on it, perhaps they got a bad lot. I"ll definitely try a different brand.

DS

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                              I was of course joking - that is kinda a sickening smell --- but believe it or not they have that "new car smell" in car air fresheners --- I guess it's supposed to smell like brand spanking new plastic and vinyl --- nice

Whats the date of manufacture on the unit?, you may have one fresh out of the factory, If it's stinking when not in use that's at least a little less alarming so as to hopefully not be related to a meltdown...

I would bet the same brand and model is going to do it too so if you do get another get a completely different make and model...

Comment

Working...
                              X