Inherited my fathers lathe but I need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inherited my fathers lathe but I need help

I recently inherited my fathers lathe and I have been told that I should convert my lathe from ac to dc. I am not really sure exactly what I need to do but I acquired a DC motor that is 3/4 hp 90 vdc. Now I need to find a drive that will control the speed, I found this KB Electronics product KBMD-240D. I believe it will work for my application, I also would like something that is pretty heavy duty and is usable in a wet environment. I would appreciate hearing your thoughts if this will work for my application or if another drive might be recommended. If at all possible I would like to use this site because they offer free shipping and are located pretty close to me (I want to start working asap.)

What sort of lathe?
    Bill
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
      world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
      country, in easy stages."
      ~ James Madison

Comment

What sort of "wet environment" ?

Comment

Why do you need to replace the motor? What is on it now?
          Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

To answer your question, that controller is fine. I normally wouldn't pay that much but because it is coming
            with a nice box and buttons, that really isn't too bad.

As others will probably suggest .. you might want to keep your pulleys and such for better speed and torque control.
            John Titor, when are you.

Comment

If the environment is "wet" enough that it's a concern for the motor controller, then I doubt it's a good place for your lathe.

If you can tell us more about the machine (pics would be great too), we could probably offer better advice. I've only ever looked into DC conversions for very small lathes (watchmaker size), so am not sure offhand what good options would be for larger motors like the one you have.
              Max
              http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

Originally posted by rlwest42 View Post
                If at all possible I would like to use this site because they offer free shipping and are located pretty close to me (I want to start working asap.)
                I have used the board that is apparently inside the enclosure for the same size motor you refer to for lathes in the 10 and 12 inch Atlas sizes. Accompanied with the original countershaft and pulleys, the conversion is very satisfactory for anything I have wanted to do. Unless I am doing heavy drilling or cutting larger diameters, I leave it in a medium hi range and just adjust rpm with the controller. When I need more torque at low rpm the countershaft and/or backgears come into use.
                My controllers were only a third the price, but that left me scrounging for HP resistors, dpdt switches for forward and reverse, 15 amp rated on off switches, enclosures.... The price is sounding more reasonable all the time.
                One thing to be aware of. Your conversion will likely give you the ability to change rotation on the fly. DO NOT DO IT. Not only hard on motor and drive train, but if your spindle is threaded, which it probably is, the chuck or faceplate will unscrew and project with amazing force into all kinds of important stuff. A lathe with threaded spindle is used in reverse with caution unless tapered tooling or workholding is being employed.

Comment

Originally posted by mars-red View Post
                  If the environment is "wet" enough that it's a concern for the motor controller, then I doubt it's a good place for your lathe.
                  Yeah.... in spades, doubled and re-doubled. "

"Wet" and "lathe" do not go together in any way. Except maybe for coolant, and that does not belong in the motor.

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

I'm no expert, but why do you think you need to convert your lathe to DC. Does it run okay on AC now ??

While you can go the DC route, I would think for a home unit, the AC would be easier period.

Just sayin

Comment

Where are you located? You didn't put a location in your profile information. Perhaps one of us just might be next door!
                      Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

I have not seen any under water machining yet but I bet it could leave a nice finish on the part!
                        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                          Welcome to the forum!
                          Thank you, I am learning quite a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBoy1 View Post
                            Where are you located? You didn't put a location in your profile information. Perhaps one of us just might be next door!
                            I am located in Cookeville, TN.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr View Post
                              What sort of "wet environment" ?

Well It is not actually for a wet environment, I was just told that I should get the one that is "nema4x" rated because it can stand up to harsher elements and it won't get any particles inside of it. They said it might be slightly more expensive but in the long run it will probably not tear up.

Comment

Working...
                              X