Help me buy a new DRO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me buy a new DRO

If you were to buy a new DRO, what would you get? Would it have glass or magnetic scales? Two or three axis?

Any and all suggestions would be great!

Andy

My choice would depend on what you mount it on.

A large mill, with 3 axis + quill will be different from a small 7x10 lathe with just X and Z.

A knee mill has room for glass scales and can utilize the accuracy. A small machine may not have room for more than the thin capacitance based scale as used in a caliper.

I bought the SHARS 3 AXIS set of glass scales and SINO readout for my knee mill (X, Y and knee). It was not too hard to mount it. I bought the 6 inch capacitance scale for the quill and mounted it to the depth stop. It's a nice setup that works very well.

I have the rotary encoders on the cross slide and compound of my 7x12 lathe. They tell you exactly how many turns of the leadscrew, and are fairly accurate if you take out the slack.

While I bought a set of the capacitance scales with remote readouts for my 9x20 lathe, I have yet to mount them. When I get around to it, I'll post the project. That may be next year.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Hi,

Check out DRO Pros. I have done two lathes and one mill with the EL400 magnetic scales. Accurate and work great with good support from the seller.

Brian
      Toolznthings

Comment

Originally posted by TOOLZNTHINGS View Post
        Hi,

Check out DRO Pros. I have done two lathes and one mill with the EL400 magnetic scales. Accurate and work great with good support from the seller.

Brian
        I believe this is what I got for my lathe. I used the low profile scale on the cross slide. I really like it. No issues at all and Dro pros were very helpful.

Comment

I am a millionaire and would buy that $4300 set over there. (and my nose is growing)

I mean you do realize that we have large company owners on here AND guys with little mill drills on here.
          Guys that are on very limited budgets and guys that are very well off.

What would be much better, would be for you to tell us what your needs are, THEN we
          could give you a more useful answer.

But to give you some obvious info.

Mag scales are smaller and easier to install than glass ... but much more expensive. So if money is no object.
          But most of us have glass and am pretty sure are quite happy with them.

I prefer 3 axis ... But I am just a hobbiest and it seems to help me.
          John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Mike - good suggestion.

I am a one-man business owner embarking on making custom 1911 pistols geared toward competitive sports and custom carry. I have an 25-year-old ENCO 9x42 manual mill that I purchased for a very good price. I cannot foresee using all of the features of a DRO, but I would like to be able to take this DRO to another mill if I were to upgrade in the future.

Thank you
            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Guncraft View Post
              If you were to buy a new DRO, what would you get? Would it have glass or magnetic scales? Two or three axis?

Any and all suggestions would be great!

Andy
              For a mill? 3 axis, magnetic scales. Possibly 4 axis, if the price were right, altho that's purely for convenience of having all my numbers in one place.

I've used DRO's with both glass scales and magnetic scales. Acu-rite, Fagor, Anilam, Mitutoyo, Newall, Magnascale. In magnetic scales, I've used both the Newall and the Magnascale type scales.

I'd take the Magnascale type scales over most anything else, and I like the Sony systems better than most. The Acu-Rites are simple to use. Newall has their own quirks, and they're a bit spendy. Fagor's UI annoys me, but they're reasonably priced. I prefer magnetic scales for their ease of trimming to length and their ruggedness in dirty and abusive (read as: "school") environments.

Comment

FWIW, Sony no longer manufactures the magnascales, they are their own company now.

The Newall scales are not magnetic in the same way as the magnescale and other magnetic encoders. The newall stuff uses induction to sense steel balls in a tube to do the sensing, the balls are not normally magnetic. The scales on the magnascales are magnetic and the heads read the pitch (usually 5mm) of the magnetization and interpolate it similar to a traditional encoder. They are pretty darn accurate but if you use exposed scales around iron filings they can get coated.

Comment

I have the 2 axis glass scales from DRO Pros for the past 4 years. I bought glass because they were less expensive and they have worked perfectly. Customer service from DRO Pros is excellent. I added a cheap dro from eBay for the quill. It is an absolute necessity to have the dro on the quill. I have found that not having a dro on the knee has not been a big deal. Normally the knee is locked and any height differences are measured by the quill. With that said, I used a mag base and an indicator to measure relative movements of the knee for the one time I needed accurate measurement of the knee movement.
                  Doug

Comment

Working...
                  X