Surface finish on annealed steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface finish on annealed steel

I considering taking advantage of a Cyber Monday sale for some steel. Specifically I'm looking at what is called "4140 cold finish, annealed". What does the surface finish of this look like - is it smooth like cold rolled or is it rather rough?

I had a few drops of 1040 annealed, and they had a smooth, dull gray finish. I haven't had enough experience with it to know if that's typical, though.
    Max
    http://joyofprecision.com/

Comment

4140 bar is always smooth in my experience. I'm not familiar with the specific term "cold finish," but I suspect it is synonymous with "cold rolled." The color can be a bit darker / dull than 1018. Finish, though, is the same.

Comment

Surface finish of 4140 stell

Originally posted by MyrtleLake View Post
        4140 bar is always smooth in my experience. I'm not familiar with the specific term "cold finish," but I suspect it is synonymous with "cold rolled." The color can be a bit darker / dull than 1018. Finish, though, is the same.
        Thanks for the info,sooo the stuff should work
        Browniesharp

Comment

All the 4140 I have gotten has looked the same as 1018 CRS. It did not have scale like hot rolled.

Comment

I'd have thought "cold finish" meant cold rolled, ie no scale same in appearance to any other cold rolled

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
            All the 4140 I have gotten has looked the same as 1018 CRS. It did not have scale like hot rolled.
            was it annealed? pretty sure I have various chrome moly's here that have scale, but they may be heat treated and thats where it comes from...hmmm. I'll have to check

Comment

Working...
            X