Refilling the 'Ol drill index?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refilling the 'Ol drill index?

So who do you use to refill the indexes?

I have nice sets of jobber drills in numbered and lettered and fractional. I would like to get better than average quality and stay away from chicom. These will be used for general purpose but I wonder about finishes as well.

I see Fastenal has a good selection but figure there are better suppliers (read cheaper). The Enco drills I looked at were only in quantities of 6 or 12.

Any of the "name brand" drills from the big suppliers ought to be okay. I just bought some drills from McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com that seem pretty good. They may not be the cheapest supplier for a given item, but I find that McMaster's shipping tends to be the most reasonable, which tends to average things out. McMaster generally doesn't list brand names, but I don't think I've ever been disappointed in the quality.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Ironwoodsmith,
      Here in the NW I have used General tool supply, ACME tool supply, they both have had USA made drill bits but I have not gotten number or letter drills as I don't have a full set just 1or2s of what I needed.
      Just a couple of places to look at.

TX
      Mr Fixit for the family
      Chris

Comment

I've used drillsandcutters.com they have a pretty good product and some nice specials.

Comment

I pad out my Enco orders - "Precision" brand typically.

Comment

I prefer Cobalt drills with split point, these drill the best and last the longest of the common twist drills. Cobalt drills have a brown color, most others are either silver or black.

Comment

I bought a set of cobalt drills recently, imagine my suprise when they turned out to be SKF!, split point and silver, off eBay, used btw, 1mm Mia.
              I didn't know they made index sets.
              Presto or Goliath are the best over here but like all things good drill bits aren't cheap so if I see tins of old ones in flea markets I buy them, throw the twisted nails away and keep what's good.
              I have used some quite good Chinese drills btw, to tar them all isn't useful,
              Old bits are where you can get lucky, I have too many big bits, I found a 30 ton bin of drills in a scrap yard, I think it was 29 ton after I gave up, well I didn't give up, they tipped it into the furnace, bye bye
              (The steel was so far out of spec for sheet it was funny, chrome, moly vanadium, niobium, tungsten all over the top, and you can't blow them out, pour it on the floor smash it and add a little at a time, took 6 months to get rid of it, the boss thought the cheapest thing to do was tip the bin outside my house)
              Tried some Dewalt drills recently, bullet tip, really quite good wherever thier made
              Mark

Comment

http://www.victornet.com/alphabetic/...A-HSS/107.html 1/4" bright USA jobber: $1.69 vs Mcmaster $2.26

My shop used to be within walking distance of this place, back when we both were in lower Manhattan. 20 years ago they had Chinese clone Kant-Twist clamps, I have not seen them anywhere since.

Comment

Heard good things about Rocky Mountain Twist and Norseman.

The later sells some through Fastenal, at least here in Canada, but also pops up during group buys, garage journal site, maybe, and cross posted on this bbs from time to time.

Comment

I use a local tool store, I can get CL and Champion drill bits there at competitive pricing and no shipping. I also invested in a 750X drill doctor, that thing has literally paid for itself several times over.

Comment

I'm happy using Norseman.
                      Definition: Boat, a hole in the water you throw money into!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
                        The Enco drills I looked at were only in quantities of 6 or 12.
                        I noticed that too, but it doesn't mean you can't buy smaller quantities.

I avoided buying small drill bits from Enco for a while, because of this, but recently needed a couple odd decimal sizes, and added quantities of 1 or 2 to my order. They came through with no issues. I haven't figured out if the "package quantity" is just for a discount? It didn't restrict me from buying less than a package.

This was on the better quality bits they sold, not sure about the cheap chinese versions.

Comment

Why not buy a new jobber bit set then use the new set to backfill?

Comment

I buy used in bulk, havent bought a twist drill in years and have several toolboxes full of a decent collection from MT1-5, several Huot drill dispensers full of straight shanks and Silver/Deming and a half dozen smaller indexes. Not a huge percentage of my collection, but Ive bought quite a few drills BNIB in box lots used. Call me cheap but I cringe at new prices for decent quality tools today, the sad part is with the economy in the dumps every other year the past few its definitely a buyers market. I almost smacked an auctioneer last summer when I found a box full of these envelopes, all empty, the drills dumped into another big box, IIRC I paid $7 for a 2' cube of drills that others thought were used.

"I am, and ever will be, a white-socks, pocket-protector, nerdy engineer -- born under the second law of thermodynamics, steeped in the steam tables, in love with free-body diagrams, transformed by Laplace, and propelled by compressible flow."

Comment

Most suppliers like McMaster, Enco, etc. will sell whatever quantity you want. For small sizes, like under 1/8" or 3/16" so, I figure that if I broke or dulled one, I will probably break or dull more. So I buy 5 or a dozen. I do that when I find the need to replace one. That way, my own usage pattern establishes which ones I keep a small stock of.

For larger sizes, I find them easier to sharpen so unless I expect to use them a lot, one drill lasts a long time. And I may buy only one or two.

As for brands, there are many quality brands.
                              Paul A.

Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X