Milling/Engraving wood with my cnc knee mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling/Engraving wood with my cnc knee mill

I have a craft-like project my wife has come up with that is making a personalized clock. Rather than buy numbers and letters to make the clock face and personalization, I said I could use my mill and basically v-carve these items. The top speed is 4200 rpm. Could I use this with a 3/8 or 1/2" HSS chamfer mill to do what I'm wanting?

Thanks.

I V carve at about 15-20,000 rpm in woods with a slowish feed rate
    Try using your mill on a scrap piece of timber similar to what you are going to use
    Your biggest problem will be scorching of the wood
    If you can get a 60 or 90 degree wood router bit that may be better

Ian

Comment

I found I wanted more spindle speed to cut it really cleanly in wood. So rather than cranking my spindle overspeed and compromising I made this.

And moutned

Its for making quilt pantographs, here's a quick test.

Comment

MrFluffy, I thought about making a bracket to mount a router to the quill but I wasn't sure about the torque on the quill from the weight of the router. It looks like you are using a small-ish trim router similar to this Harbor Freight dandy and it only weighs about 4 lbs. What is the rod in the middle of the bracket for?

Comment

That's an additional support- it goes to a boss on the spindle housing meant to hold an indicator.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
          X