Modig 28B Radial Drill Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modig 28B Radial Drill Info

Does anyone know if motor on these drills can be removed without dismanteing intire gearbox.

Without even looking at it I'd say yes, motors are usually splined, keyed or coupled, just so they can be removed easily for repair etc, I really don't think Modigliani would have done that differently, it must be flange mount I think, a photo would be good, some are a bit sneaky as to bolts though
    Mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
      Without even looking at it I'd say yes, motors are usually splined, keyed or coupled, just so they can be removed easily for repair etc, I really don't think Modigliani would have done that differently, it must be flange mount I think, a photo would be good, some are a bit sneaky as to bolts though
      Mark
      Hey Mark I removed the bolts on the Flange mount motor and it did not move at all,the only Image of a Modig was a small gear drive milldrill and the motor shaft was part of the gear train shaft.My Varnamo mill that flange mount came right out with flex coulpler.

Comment

I came across that before and found the flange had dowels through, had to get it off with folding wedges
        Some even used roll pins
        Mark

Comment

What are folding wedges?

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
            I came across that before and found the flange had dowels through, had to get it off with folding wedges
            Some even used roll pins
            Mark
            With the bolts out of the Flange you could rotate the motor but no vertical end play

Comment

Just wedges used in pairs, one facing the other, the taper then cancels out so the force is not angular, it's perpendicular to the flange plane, very useful, ones with a notch in can be used to pop chucks off, thick wooden ones can lift a building.
              Sorry I have nothing more, try gentle lifting it could be the spline or key is tight or corroded
              Mark

Comment

I tried removing Motor with gentle use of slide hammer,got it up 1/2" but gear train came up rather than motor coming out
                of shaft hub.Put it back in original position and will deal with it next winter when I split gearcase and do a complete refurbish
                on the drill ,checked it running with 3/8" handrill drilling numerous 1/2" holes with power down feed.Works great and runs very smooth.

Comment

I'm thinking the drive gear is just stuck on the shaft, with a bit of luck it should lever off, it must be splined or keyed or you would never be able to build the thing, it will be a nice machine, I love the little radials, easier to bolt somthing down and move the drill, we had one with a big box table round the back, just swing the drill right round, great for big plates like 4' x4'
                  Sorry it didn't go easier
                  Mark

Comment

Are most of these I see 460V? I bought one for Darrel it was & the Arboga & got with the haul said both voltages but the 220 was xxxed out. I hope I can change it cause Darrel got my tranformer.
                    "Let me recommend the best medicine in the
                    world: a long journey, at a mild season, through a pleasant
                    country, in easy stages."
                    ~ James Madison

Comment

Sorry about 4year old thread ,but had success removing motor from gear box today.It is a simple Flange Mount with the 19 mm shaft and 6mm key that slides into hub on gear train,was very stuck in there.After disassembled gear box was able pry it out with a lot grunt.

Comment

Just info for anyone working on these , the four vertical Allan Cap Screws on the bottom facing up is how gear box is removed.The splined quill shaft is attached to the top assembly( opposite of conventional drill press) so have to lift about 7" vertical to remove.Then the gear box can be split on bench,I ended doing backwards with no manual or prevous experiance lol!The lower portion stays attached to radial arm with quill and pinion still intact.

Comment

As a follow on to your grease thread, you might contact Modig-USA for a manual:
                          \
                          Modig Machine Tool US Inc.208 S Commerce
                          Wichita, KS 67202 USA
                          E-mail: [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            As a follow on to your grease thread, you might contact Modig-USA for a manual:
                            \
                            Modig Machine Tool US Inc.208 S Commerce
                            Wichita, KS 67202 USA
                            E-mail: [email protected]

Thanks Reggie email sent,picking up new bearing for gearbox tommorrow.All fiber gears look like new complete opposite of the outer appearance of this thing.

Comment

Working...
                            X