No announcement yet.

"Kurt Vise" where to buy, and quality.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Kurt Vise" where to buy, and quality.

Just curious if anyone has purchased
    a kurt vise off ebay ? I've seen a couple
    sellers on there but I'm curious about
    the quality. Does Kurt sell seconds ?
    This is what I want to avoid.
    If I'm going to pay top dollar for a Kurt
    I want it to be within their specs. Of a
    first rate vise.

Check Amazon for "seconds" or "blems" 6" about $400 & free shipping & the flaw is a run or chip of paint nothing that affects quality.

Comment

I just bought a new in the box Kurt vise from a dealer on Ebay. $520 delivered. It was from Jerico Tools.

Andy

Comment

I bought mine on eBay for something like $250 a few years ago. It looked almost new, but I needed to grind the base nevertheless to make it parallel (manufacturing defect). Not a big deal if one has an access to a surface grinder. Other than that, the vise was (and still is) perfect.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

MichaelP I had the same thing wrong with my Kurt, fortunately I had a 12 X 24 surface grinder that we had just got done scraping/rebuilding, removed old belt drive spindle and installed a Pope spindle that I had given to me when I was doing some work at Pope before they closed.

Comment

Watch for Enco 20% sales with free shipping. That's when I buy my high ticket items.

Comment

+++1

I just bought a D688 from Enco during their last coupon event. $426 with free shipping.

Kurt does sell "factory seconds" directly to customers, and reports from those purchasing them have been very favorable. $410 for a D688 (free shipping).

http://www.kurtworkholding.com/scrat...-664-l-en.html

Comment

I bought 2 D-688 from my tool supplier locally for a little over $400 Ea no shipping charged. I had been looking at them on Enco and this was a better price even when they are on sale.

Mike

Comment

As an alternative to your first choice - Kurt, I'll suggest considering
                  HSM Forum sponsor Glacern's products and prices.

I have posted a few times about my satisfaction with a 'matched'
                  pair of their 5" vises. (These are use on a machine for which 6" is
                  really too large, but I gave substantial consideration to getting the
                  bigger tools before purchase.)

Glacern had a Black Friday Sale banner appearing here for some time
                  after the occasion, perhaps the price reduction is still in effect.

Comment

Originally posted by gundog View Post
                    I bought 2 D-688
                    I have two D688's on our mill, and can't say enough about how much time/money I've saved having two on there. Does anyone else have two vises on their mill? I see a lot of guys with one. I know they aren't cheap, but if you do it professionally, it seems like the only way to go.

We bought ours as second hands, and they measured out perfectly parallel and square. Just some of the paint wasn't perfect.
                    Last edited by mrobertson; 12-12-2015, 07:57 PM.
                    -Matt

Comment

Originally posted by mrobertson View Post
                      I have two D688's on our mill, and can't say enough about how much time/money I've saved having two on there. Does anyone else have two vises on their mill?
                      I have 1 vise and 1 sub-plate next to it on the mill table for a 1st and 2nd op

Comment

What you wrote doesn't make sense to me. Presumably, the reason you want to buy on ebay is that you DON'T want to pay top dollar. If you DO want to pay top dollar, just get it through normal distribution channels, and you won;t have to worry about it being a "second" or "blem".

Originally posted by hephaestus View Post
                        Just curious if anyone has purchased
                        a kurt vise off ebay ? I've seen a couple
                        sellers on there but I'm curious about
                        the quality. Does Kurt sell seconds ?
                        This is what I want to avoid.
                        If I'm going to pay top dollar for a Kurt
                        I want it to be within their specs. Of a
                        first rate vise.

Comment

Since I don't build stuff for nasa it is really hard for me to splurge on new. Most times I look for used tools for the savings. There are some pretty nice looking specimens on ebay for half or less the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURT-6-VISE-...EAAOSwYHxWModh

But that is just me. Some like only brand new and that is ok. I would buy all new too if I had the funds.
                          Andy

Comment

Originally posted by mrobertson View Post
                            I have two D688's on our mill, and can't say enough about how much time/money I've saved having two on there. Does anyone else have two vises on their mill? I see a lot of guys with one. I know they aren't cheap, but if you do it professionally, it seems like the only way to go.

We bought ours as second hands, and they measured out perfectly parallel and square. Just some of the paint wasn't perfect.
                            I keep two "Kurts" on one of my mills. Very convenient. I bought a couple of used Kurts years ago in Indianapolis at auction for about $150.00 @. I also have two Kurts that I bought new. I pull them off about once a year for cleaning.

Sarge

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
                              There are some pretty nice looking specimens on ebay for half or less the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KURT-6-VISE-...EAAOSwYHxWModh
                              There sometimes are pretty nice ones listed...but that isn't one of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X