Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: what to do with 6 gallons of unusable E-85 fuel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: what to do with 6 gallons of unusable E-85 fuel?

I had picked up a tank of E-85 that my caravan REALLY hated, don't know why. Had to drain it out (mechanic was at a loss how to do it till I, who knows little about cars, told him to disconnect the line from the fuel pump and shove it in can). I was mixing it slowly into full tanks when I remembered to, but the van died and got scrapped before I was through. Now I have this stuff and don't know whether to burn it in a barrel, let it evaporate, or what. Both seem un-environmental. My local trash agency told me they couldn't take it as hazardous waste unless I left the containers. But who wants to part with valuable gas jugs?

OOT: isn't there any better way to empty a tank in a modern vehicle? You can't get a siphon in. I remember an older car of mine (maybe my 70 Nova) had a drain cap. It's a real issue if you want to use your car's fuel in a generator during a prolonged emergency like Hurricane Sandy.

You could gradually put it back in the tank in small amounts, diluting it with good gas shouldn't hurt anything.
    Otherwise it makes great weed killer.

JL...............

Comment

Get a plastic bucket with a lid. E85 is for washing parts.
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIF...7S66kX1s8rd0qA

Comment

Find someone with a flex-fuel vehicle?

I'd take it if you lived closer. My turbo car is in the process of being set up to run it. At roughly 105 octane, its the most cost effective "race" gas you can buy.

Comment

E-85 is only good for cleaning floors.
          Andy

Comment

put it in a 5+ gallon container don't want and take it to your toxic waste recycler. Or.. put an ad on Craigslist for "free E85 gas". poof.. it will be gone.
            Last edited by lakeside53; 12-11-2015, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Buy ethanol free gasoline and then make your own blend to 10% ethanol. The slight extra cost of the gasoline will even out with the "free" alcohol. It will be environmentally friendly as well, since your car is programmed to burn E-10 anyway.

Comment

Go to your local bus garage. Talk nicely to one of the mechanics while holding a dozen donuts in your hand. Most have waste fuel tanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gellfex View Post
                  I had picked up a tank of E-85 that my caravan REALLY hated, don't know why.
                  The owner's manual for my E85 Chrysler Town and Country has all sorts of dire warnings about actually using E85- poor cold weather starting, lousy acceleration, dismal fuel economy. To paraphrase: it will run on E85, but don't do it.

Comment

A quart in a full tank won't hurt anything and will boost wallet mileage at the same time.
                    mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Originally posted by Frank K View Post
                      Go to your local bus garage. Talk nicely to one of the mechanics while holding a dozen donuts in your hand. Most have waste fuel tanks.
                      as a mechanic, I must say, you'd be supprised how well this actually work.:-)

Comment

What would be wrong with just giving the fuel away to one or more neighbors?

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco-P View Post
                          What would be wrong with just giving the fuel away to one or more neighbors?
                          This post is from yesterday, the E-85 has already gone bad from absorbing water and turned white. It is only one step away from being tap water now.
                          Andy

Comment

most of us are running it in a diluted form anyways, throw a gallon in with every fill up with whatever you drive - wont hurt a thing --- exceptin fuel economy - but if you were going to pitch it anyways it will better your cost effective mileage overall for saving you a couple bucks on the fill up...

Comment

Hey - it's wintertime, right? Drive to the top of a long lonely hill. Pour it so it runs down the hill. Throw a lit match on it. It will be gone in just a few seconds and will be lots of fun. :-)

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                              X