makeshift hybrid drip-mister?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• makeshift hybrid drip-mister?

greets all.. before I potentially waste a few hours reinventing the wheel thought I'd post an 'idea'
    I'd like to try as a stop-gap before I build an official mist coolant system for my cnc router.

i currently have an air loc line going right to the cutting area.. i'm thinking about adding a drip oiler
    (gravity + ball valve) and T-ing right into the loc line. . . figuring a drop of oil now and again in the
    air jet will do the job.

but i'm wondering if this will work and two doubts -- for anyone who might've tried this:

1. will i just end up coating the inside of my loc line and blowing back into my oil can?
    2. will the venturi effect over power my drip and just suck my oil can dry in no time?

thoughts/suggestions appreciated. i'm gathering parts for a proper mist system; i'm hoping for
    a temporary solution while I get those together.

Thanks!

Do a search, here and on the other boards, for "Fog Buster". A guy who goes by cfellows came up with a really
    inexpensive and super effective cooler that doesn't get everything wet, keeps the chips clear, and is effective
    at cooling the tool. I'm making my own version of his but don't have it finished yet.

Pete
    1973 SB 10K .
    BenchMaster mill.

Comment

Originally posted by 10KPete View Post
      Do a search, here and on the other boards, for "Fog Buster". A guy who goes by cfellows came up with a really
      inexpensive and super effective cooler that doesn't get everything wet, keeps the chips clear, and is effective
      at cooling the tool. I'm making my own version of his but don't have it finished yet.

Pete
      Chuck hangs out on the Model Engine Maker forum. I think the article you're referring to is here...

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/inde...html#msg104974
      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Instead of pressurizing the bottle could a gravity system be set up and the air just used to atomize the liquid?
        Andy

Comment

whats a drip mister?

with a mister the trick is of course to avoid a fog in the shop - something that has a high probability of happening without the right design. There's lots written here and on PM, one element of success iirc is pressurizing the liquid as well as (obviously) the air....many posters also advocate a particular size of mig tip as being just the thing for a nozzle. Some searching should turn up lots of ideas

Comment

The fog buster design with a pressurized container works extremely well. It doesn't make fog, it transfers droplets of fluid to the cutting tool and makes almost no mess. I have a solenoid valve turning it on and off. However to stop the fluid flow you either need a second valve or a do what we did, install a quick exhaust valve on the inlet to the container. When the air goes off the quick exhaust dumps the pressure off and the fluid flow stops.

Comment

Working...
            X