OT But Probably Mechanical: How Do They Always Put Exactly Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT But Probably Mechanical: How Do They Always Put Exactly Four

I like those noodle soups that come in the foam cups. And I have noticed that they always have exactly four kernels of corn in them. They are loose, on the top of the dried noodles so they must be added later in the process. But how do they always have exactly four kernels? Never three. Never five. Always four.

They sell far too many of these noodle soups for them to be added by hand. And it must be a high speed mechanism. I mean the cups must almost fly past. There must be some kind of mechanism. But what can be that precise with kernels of corn that are different sizes and weights?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Mass sensor. Moist air blows past a stream of falling kernels and four lumps are deflected into each can. Directly behind the can line, a roll of brown paper slowly rolls from one spindle to the other and back again. Once that's nearly saturated with the overspray it goes into a shredder before it's put into the corn soup pot. The cans get a little messy from this process, so they are washed and the wash water also goes into the soup pot. Not wanting to waste anything, the corn cobs are mashed up and liquified. The roughest parts are filtered out and go into making fertilizer. The rest goes into different cans. These cans get exactly 17 kernels of corn and will be called Presidents Choice canned corn.

You don't want to know about split pea soup-
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

They are made in Asia.

What makes you think there is automation involved in that step? They'd have no problem with having thousands of workers each putting an individual corn and or pea in each container as it flies past.
      This is the ending.... still your need is driven on (driven on) as we trigger one more bomb...

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NPzLBSBzPI

Comment

Comment

About 5.10 in this video has the corn countingmachine
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gITloPcevE
            My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Originally posted by Left Handed Spud Wrench View Post
              They are made in Asia.

What makes you think there is automation involved in that step? They'd have no problem with having thousands of workers each putting an individual corn and or pea in each container as it flies past.
              20years ago, yes, now, no. Wages in china went up. Can't be done, it's automatic

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

In today's world of automation, inserting exactly four kernels of corn is a trivial matter.

I watch a lot of those How Do They Do It? and How it's Made programs on TV. One I recall dealt with rice production, from the paddy to the consumer. According to that program every single grain of rice is QC'ed with a high speed camera and a puff of air to blow away each rejected grain.

Comment

everybodys nuts has or at least had a guarantee that if you ever find a closed pistachio nut you can send it in and get a free bag...

now they claim they can do it because they use only the biggest mature pistachios but I bet they have some kinda devise for ejecting the lemons based on who knows what - ultra sound or some damn thing lol

I don't know if they are around anymore as I think they have been bought out by "wonderful pistachio's"

Comment

Same applies to coffee beans. About 40 years ago the coffee crop in Africa was devastated by a mould in which one infected bean could infect a whole sack in transit so the price was going up. Then they introduced UV light to make the mould fluoresce and blew off the infected beans, individually. It was the early days of microprocessors so the video processing was quite an achievement.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      everybodys nuts has or at least had a guarantee that if you ever find a closed pistachio nut you can send it in and get a free bag...

now they claim they can do it because they use only the biggest mature pistachios but I bet they have some kinda devise for ejecting the lemons based on who knows what - ultra sound or some damn thing lol

I don't know if they are around anymore as I think they have been bought out by "wonderful pistachio's"
                      I eat the hell out of pistachios and find closed shells all the time. I could get pretty much every bag replaced if I started collecting them and returning for credit but seems easier to just toss that one or two out for the birds. Like Josey Wales said, "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms".

Comment

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! They do count them. At least with some really good kind of averaging.

And I can't eat the corn, so I throw them away before adding the hot water.

Thank you, Yow Ling.

Originally posted by Yow Ling View Post
                        About 5.10 in this video has the corn countingmachine
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gITloPcevE
                        Paul A.

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by HWooldridge View Post
                          Like Josey Wales said, "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms".
                          I love that movie, mainly for the scene where the elixer/snake oil peddler makes his pitch to Josey, who spits tobacco juice on his white suit and asks "..how does it work on stains?"

Comment

This guy was working at the pickle factory
                            and one day he decided to put his wang in the pickle slicer.
                            Can you guess what happened?
                            He married the pickle slicer.

Could not resist.

-Doozer
                            DZER

Comment

Maybe they could use trained counting crows?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_fo...(nursery_rhyme)
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X