wooden molds for casting aluminum ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wooden molds for casting aluminum ??

Needed some chuck stops for my small lathe, so I thought why not make them out of wood even if the just lasted one time and burned up.
    to my surprise some of the molds 2 and 3 times. I could make one on the rotary table in just 12 minutes

Steve

If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

If you want total security, go to prison.
    There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on.
    The only thing lacking...
    is freedom. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

How close did they hold the dimensions?

Dan
      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

You could also try cement board, over here it's used for garage ceilings when the garage is in your house and for steel covering, I'm told it works, also drywall may work too,
        Nice job
        Mark

Comment

There's also the lost foam casting method where you make the part in styrofoam then pack sand around it. Pour the molten metal directly into the foam and the foam disappears, leaving a pretty good cast part behind.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

That's really a great idea.
            Now just clean them up, and face 'em off.
            Good job!

Comment

Yup wood works,so does sand and sodium silicate also steel moulds,though with steel some draft needs to be included.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Take the batteries out of the smoke detectors first.

Comment

Be careful. Some woods have a higher moisture content and it can instantly turn to steam when the hot metal hits it. You may have molten metal flying all over the place.

Years ago, when I was young (teenage) and stupid, I tried to do some aluminum casting using plaster of Paris for the molds. On the first try I had an instant volcano with liquid aluminum shooting up a couple of feet. Lucky me was off to the side, but it could have been much worse. I did find that baking the plaster molds in the oven for a half hour or more did remove the moisture.
                  Paul A.

Make it fit.
                  You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Looks like if your wood was a bit thicker and you didn't fill it all the way you'd have a lot less cleanup work. I've been thinking about trying lost foam casting. Cnc machining a block of foam would go really quick and you don't have to concerned about undercuts and such. Don't have a furnace at the moment though.

Comment

Interesting. I was thinking about casting some sinkers from lead pipe I pulled out of a wall. Lead melts at half the temp of AL. What I'd really like to do is cast some molds for bucktails, but a friend told me plaster or gypsum cement would fail dramatically at that temp. So maybe carve a wooden bucktail and cast an AL form around it. Or a foam one I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                        Be careful. Some woods have a higher moisture content and it can instantly turn to steam when the hot metal hits it. You may have molten metal flying all over the place.

Years ago, when I was young (teenage) and stupid, I tried to do some aluminum casting using plaster of Paris for the molds. On the first try I had an instant volcano with liquid aluminum shooting up a couple of feet. Lucky me was off to the side, but it could have been much worse. I did find that baking the plaster molds in the oven for a half hour or more did remove the moisture.
                        I tried something similar, my problem was after baking plaster, it turned back into something with about the strength of plaster dust :P
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

you make the part in styrofoam then pack sand around it. Pour the molten metal directly into the foam and the foam disappears
                          "disappears" == "converts into toxic vapour", illegal in some places and not too environmentally friendly in any case. If you must do this, at least be safe yourself.
                          "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Working...
                          X