starrett oil harding steel how to mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starrett oil harding steel how to mill

does it machine just like other steel I have never machine it what should I look for ie speed for 1/2 in. thanks

Hi,

Yep, it will machine well. I use cutting speed of 80fps to 90fps depending on the size and power of the machine I'm running.

Dalee
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
      Hi,

Yep, it will machine well. I use cutting speed of 80fps to 90fps depending on the size and power of the machine I'm running.

Dalee
      Is that right? fps? Not fpm?
      'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Originally posted by Richard P Wilson View Post
        Is that right? fps? Not fpm?
        Yeah, that mistake seems to be gaining in popularity here. I've noticed it several times recently.

That's the problem with writing laxity, bad grammar, poor spelling, etc., mistakes multiply like rabbits.

.... or maybe fps was intended but the quantity was off by a factor of 60.
        Last edited by lynnl; 01-07-2016, 08:03 AM.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
          Yeah, that mistake seems to be gaining in popularity here. I've noticed it several times recently.

That's the problem with writing laxity, bad grammar, poor spelling, etc., mistakes multiply like rabbits.

.... or maybe fps was intended but the quantity was off by a factor of 60.
          Use carbide mills and it's all good
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

It's high speed machining, brough.
            You cut it so fast, the chips don't even
            land on the machine table. That is how
            to roll.

--Doozer
            DZER

Comment

I think he meant 80-90 SFM, SFM meaning surface feet per minute. With hss tooling that would be about right.
              RPM=SFM*3.82/cutter dia
              611.2=80*3.82/.50. Might be a little too fast on a manual mill.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X