Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making new lead screws and nuts for a mill

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Making new lead screws and nuts for a mill

    I have a old Wells 55 mill and one lead screw is wore out. The other is so so but I might as well replace it. The screws (acme 1.125 by 5) are pretty straight forward lathe work. But the nuts I have some questions... I could sleeve the existing nuts with new bronze sleeves and pin them in. Make new steel nut bodies and put a sleeve with bronze or plastic and pin them in. (or bolt them in)

    I took me a hour and a half to get the mill apart and ready for new parts. Not something I want to do all the time. I have not ordered anything yet. Trying to decide what to do....
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

  • #2
    Evanuts!

    Comment


    • #3
      Although I am a big fan of "EvaNuts", making one, or more specifically, removing one from 1.125" acme might be more than you bargain for. Probably should stay with bronze on this repair.
      Cheers,
      Gary

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by gcude View Post
        Although I am a big fan of "EvaNuts", making one, or more specifically, removing one from 1.125" acme might be more than you bargain for. Probably should stay with bronze on this repair.

        They make plastic nuts, but they are the same price as bronze!
        I'm sure I could make a tap to do plastic out of a piece of scrap rod...
        Feel free to put me on ignore....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by daveo View Post
          I have some questions... I could sleeve the existing nuts with new bronze sleeves and pin them in. Make new steel nut bodies and put a sleeve with bronze or plastic and pin them in. (or bolt them in)

          I took me a hour and a half to get the mill apart and ready for new parts. Not something I want to do all the time. I have not ordered anything yet. Trying to decide what to do....
          Did the exact same over Christmas on an Edgwick lathe as the nut was quite complex and I didn't have a lot of time.



          Also did a spare nut whilst I was at it.

          This one was 7/8" x 5 LH. Just a bloody good press fit and loctite
          .

          Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.



          Comment


          • #6
            Hi
            Can I add my method to this pool and perhaps it can be used here.
            Faced with the same problem on a smaller scale To replace a 15 x 1.25 pitch to a 16 x 2 mm pitch lead screws on an X2 Mill.
            To attempt to have minimum backlash.
            Cut the thread on the lead screw to finished size.
            Then fabricate a tap from a harden able steel that is 0.1 mm oversize on the lead screw thread .
            All done one one setting.
            Bored the nut to the minimum thread depth on the lead screw
            Cut the internal thread the same depth as the lead screw.
            Then clean up the internal thread with the tap
            Note!! the nut will be a good fit if turned 180 deg to match the profile of the lead screw.

            Eric

            Comment


            • #7
              Wasnt that kind of tight? Screws do need some backlash to work...
              Feel free to put me on ignore....

              Comment


              • #8
                The cost of Acme rod on your side of the pond makes me wonder why anyone would choose to make it. Am I missing something? TCT internal inserts are readily available in Acme profiles.
                Just wondered, I have to do the same job, I bought the 1" X 5 Acme rod from the US, including postage about half the price I would have to pay here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Im buying the screws, 5ft for $91 bucks and a 2ft piece for $36. The bronze nuts are $109 for two...

                  But there is still a lot of lathe work to do to make them fit in the mill
                  Last edited by daveo; 01-07-2016, 06:05 PM.
                  Feel free to put me on ignore....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by John Stevenson View Post
                    Did the exact same over Christmas on an Edgwick lathe as the nut was quite complex and I didn't have a lot of time.



                    Also did a spare nut whilst I was at it.

                    This one was 7/8" x 5 LH. Just a bloody good press fit and loctite

                    Awesome! The new bronze nuts are 2.500 in length. The originals are 1.750 in threaded length. Keep the 2.250 or cut them down?
                    Feel free to put me on ignore....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Have you priced new lead screws & nuts from Wells-Index? I'm sure they're not cheap, but they should be available.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you need an easier way, next time check out http://www.greenbaymfgco.com

                        they make Acme screws and bronze nuts - on the shelf and cheap.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Same problem on my Index Model 40. My solution was to order nuts and make holders to fit them.





                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Fixed two manual mills and two manual lathes with new trapezoidal screw stock and bronze nuts. The nuts were turned down and a fine thread was made on the OD and the original nut was then modified to have that same thread not all the way through. A dap of Locktite, screw it in tight and it's as good as new
                            Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by steve45 View Post
                              Have you priced new lead screws & nuts from Wells-Index? I'm sure they're not cheap, but they should be available.
                              No, I dont have a problem making my own. I could use the experience anyway...

                              I am sending the spindle to Wells tomorrow to have it re-ground to R8. They have been helpful on getting it done via email..
                              Feel free to put me on ignore....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X