Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milling machine, what is it?

What is it and should I replace it?

This sits under the table assembly of my Wells 55 mill. Its a piece of metal that slides when you move the table in and out. Im kind of going thru this mill trying to take some slop out and tighten things up. It measures 5 inches wide, 16 long and the best thickness measurement I can get is around .119-.118.... The "slot it rides in (pic 2) is around .140 deep so it makes me wonder if it should be .120 or .125. or thicker? Its pretty beat up...

Feel free to put me on ignore....

That looks like a cover plate to keep chips from going down in the knee. Those usually just kind of float around, don't want it too closely fitted or it may jam up.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      That looks like a cover plate to keep chips from going down in the knee. Those usually just kind of float around, don't want it too closely fitted or it may jam up.

You are probably right, It has a screw ran up from the bottom so it stays over the hole...

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post

My old South Bend mill has pretty much the same thing, for exactly that reason. Just gets dragged back and forth by the table.

Comment

Thanks guys! Im just going to put it back in.

Comment

Working...
          X