Making a Reamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Reamer

I am going to try making a single point reamer.
    This will be a chambering reamer for rifle barrel, so it will be a piloted reamer.
    Two questions, what is everyones favorite steel for this use?
    After turning the shape, it is cut down to EXACTLY half diameter, right?

TIA

Jim

Jim
    You are a braver man than me, for the time and expense I would just as soon get a Clymer and get it over with.

www.clymertool.com

If you still want to try it yourself T-15 or M-42 would be good choices and make a much tougher tool (professional harden & temper). O-1 if you want to harden yourself, A-2 is you have access to a controlled atmoshpere hardening furnace. The NRA may have some suggestins as to geometry. They are not easy to go right.

Comment

O1 heat w/ torch in drill press @ +/- 200 rpm.,...bring up x/mission fluid & quench while running .......use a tool post grndr to take out the usual.010 +/- warp & grind down to 1/2 + about .010 for slight neg rake ...because of pilot size vs other diameters there is warp ...spinning evens heat & vertical quench gives least change.. !..made A 32/35 STEVENS 1/2 REAMER & halved it first...result , a banana...still have it to remind me not to do it again...have made barrel center 1/2 reamers,grinding before hardening & gotten away w/ it..... .may get by w/ straight case ,but then, u can just bore it!!!fluted reamers not much more trouble to make........little fixture can be cobbled up in 1/2 day to hold in milling vise....have made several sets..22/250 , 257 roberts imp. etc......clamp a sin bar to toolpost & indicate from t/stock for correct diff. in rolls w/ compound set up near correct angle, for shldr angle ..great article in village press mag made my life easier( dean johnson ????)...but for urself , if u miss the angle , just hdspace it correctly & u have ur own wildcat blitxen-boomer mag,(shoulder will blow out to size)....if u want to get into fluted reamers ,i made up some instructions (for myself), after last set,cause i went crazy trying to remember my set up 5 yrs earlier ,& could probably still find them ....master machinist once told me a customer came in w. some plans ...he looked at them & said ....cant do it on my machines......customer said ,u did 11 yrs ago ......old machinist said it took him 4 days to remember /figure out ,how he did it & 1 day to do it!!!!big problem w/ hsm's is one off items ,.....if its adequate ,u dont make it better ,& dont repeat enuf to gain speed & long term memory..

I DID IT MY WAY!...therein lies the satisfaction ,the money is the least part....& yeah , u dont really want to let loose of a c note for an experimental reamer that may need a 1/2 dozen revisions before giving up & settling on a factory crtrdg..keep in touch
      best wishes
      docn8as
      docn8as

Comment

You can rent reamers and headspace gages from www.reamerrentals.com. I have used them with good success.
        I would still like to make my own sometime.
        Jim H.

Comment

Jim....just looked at my earlier post.....main reason for grinding 1/2 reamer AFTER hardening is ,the x/sectional variance is the principal cause of the warpage ....can easily be .020 out when put back on center & checked!..a straight dowel of full x/section would be out very little w/ O1
          best wishes
          docn8as
          PS 01 drawn at 375 in the oven for an hour is around R 61-62,..has surprising give ...can actually see it twist before fracturing.....ask me how i know!......cut two chambers & four dies & still felt as sharp on finger tip as at beginning...for production use , hi speed /carbide indicated , but out of hsm league...
          docn8as

Comment

fwiw....if anyone is tired of headspacing on cases , & too cheap to buy gages , both rimmed & (rimless gages if u have access to datum line info)are easy to make w/out having to set up shlder angle . let me know if interested.
            best wishes
            docn8as
            docn8as

Comment

Thanks all for the support

I know about renting reamers but what I want to use is the latest 17 caliber rimfire- I called JGS and asked about one

$179 ! ! and it is too new for the rental shops to have any.

As the body of the case is about 1/4" diameter, I may give serious consideration to grinding after hardnening- even tho I will have to grind it free-hand

Thanks again

Jim

Comment

If you freehand grind it, remember to leave it .002-3" over half, then stone the edge. Should leave it just about right after stoning. If it's exactly half dia, it will grab. I'd also make a test piece with the proper diameter hole for the pilot, to get a feel for how it cuts, and make a chamber cast to see what you get.

Comment

If you can get a copy of "Advanced Gunsmithing" by W. F. Vickery you will find in it complete instructions for the construction of half reamers.

Comment

Jim
                    Does Hornady have ammo out for it yet? Read about it in National Rifleman.

Comment

Thrud:
                      Yep: I picked up a box at a gun show last weekend-

$11.50 / box of 50 =:-0

Same show I found a Ruger Single Six in 22 mag, greatly used, for little money.

I have a take-off 17 barrel, now all I need is the reamer and I will have Ruger six-shooter for the new cartrige.

( Right after I finish converting a Ruger Blackhawk to 218 Bee ;-) )

Tinker Jim

Comment

Jim
                        should be a nice little gun when she's done - Sweet! (both of them) Ammo price scares me though. That is 24 clams here, you can reload centerfire .17 cheaper! Hell, I can almost reload .50BMG cheaper ;-) ! Ok, maybe only 6 or 7 rounds, but they are a hell of a lot more F-U-N. Them gophers can run, but they can't hide anywhere...

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 04-27-2002).]

Comment

THRUD: With your sense of humor I figure that you must be the crazy Canadian that I went through USMC boot camp with in 1958. WALT WARREN

Comment

Jim ...go for it .put a mashburn bee on that ruger while ur at it ....better shoulder better looking & +150 f/s in a 24 in barrel

best wishes
                            docn8as
                            docn8as

Comment

Jim ....alwys wanted to put a .222rem rimmed on a winchester lo wall single shot .could handload & keep pressures below 45,000...bought a hundred aussie cases,& didnt get any further...30 yrs later ,think it is still a good idea ...point is, smaller case head area of .222R rimmed translates to less back thrust than bee, & mashburn arms used to put his improved bee on lo walls ..remember seeing one in the fifty's ...wonder how it would work in ruger?

best wishes
                              docn8as
                              docn8as

Comment

Working...
                              X