No announcement yet.

Making a Reamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are talking about revolver. How do you plan to reduce the cylinder dimension to the .17 diameter? I am unfamilar with this cartridge.
    Jim H.

Comment

Doc, I would be thrilled to see a thread on headspace gages. I had been thinking of bugging you about this. Mike

Comment

Yea me too one the headspace gages!!!!!!!!

Paul G.
        Paul G.

Comment

1erful:
          I could be crazy (I'll never tell) but I ain't that particular one.

What I want to know is why in hell would anyone buy a .45-70 six shooter. I know a welder with one - I blame the stick smoke. Come to think of it, that would be handy for gopher encounters of the close kind - if the evil government let us play guns outdoors like Americans get to. Sniff, Sniff.

Comment

Count me in too for information about headspace guages. W
            Darn trash mail fills my inbox.Please remove NOSPAM from EMail for replies

Comment

Just scanning a gunsmithing book by Harold Mc Farland at the gunshow. He mentions using taper pin reamers as starting point for chambering reamers. It did not go into any real depth, but mentioned that they are approximate size and shape, and flutes are deep enough to remain after body has been ground.
              I can see how this could work for someone with tool & cutter grinder, or even a toolpost grinder. Makes sense, good steel, already heat treated, have centers.
              Just another log on the fire. I didn't buy the book, it was overpriced, & I'm cheap.
              Jim H.

Comment

J C read mac.s book about 40 + yrs ago & thot tapered reamer a great idea til i got hold of one ....problems w/ 3006 case sizes ...take a #8 , start grinding @ u DO run out of flutes unless u are making .32 cal up . ....may come closer w/ 30/30 case family but forget it for under 30 cal. might work w/ tapered cartridges 32-40 ,32-35 stevens ,38-55etc. BUT w/ 8 flutes u will have to pull & clear reamer MUCH more often & gud luk useing drills to rough out a tapered crtrdg....also check the price of a new #8/7 reamer...Mac was a good ole depression repair smith ,started in his daddys hardware store as a teen ager,reworking krags ,wwi military & whatever else wandered in ...replaced some factory barrels but i dought he did much else in that line ....suspect he just passed on info about CUSTOM chamber work .this was common then,(now?) , publisher wanted completeness regardless of writers realm of expertise....lots of bad info passed around this way in 30's/40's....much better now!....anyway roughing out a reamer is quick & easy ,pros even leave shoulder for grinder,& fluting can be done in mill attach.....also can practice on 4 flute rougher .010 under & can use it to make full resize die when u make ur own.....grinding takes some careful attention!...but even if ur shldr off , hdspce on case & it will blow out...& if u grind off/nick 5 flutes ,u can still chamber on the one!!!!!..u can leave throat off & use a separate throater as i did on first couple till i got more courage....incidentally , Clymer didnt bother to back off the angled neck flutes , just the lsngthwise ones ..seemed to work ....i backed mine free hand w/ cutoff wheel in 1/4 in drill ,...works also ....if u havent seen it, vickerys advanced gunsmithing (metal work) ???not sure title ,from 1936 is first decent book on chambereing /barreling ,worth reading ....but steve acker & others gave away most of secrets ....50 yrs ago,u cant beleive how hard it was to get any info ,never mind correct!!!best wishes
                docn8as
                docn8as

Comment

Thanks Doc. I was looking for Vickery book, but could not find it. I may pick it up off net. Got another book, a collection of "Guns" magazine articles. It has a write up on chambering with boring bar on small lathe. I haven't digested that one yet.
                  Tapered reamer probably OK for some straight cases, he mentioned shrinking on pilots etc., so it was probably somewhat of pipe dream.
                  I have Howe books, haven't looked at them about reamers lately. His method of rifling with dividing head is unique.
                  Jim H.

Comment

J.C......i have an article (deeply buried) in "rifle" mag. in which gunsmith author bores a bottle neck case (2 1/2 hrs ) .,& recommends it for one off jobs....dont know about u ,but i need a LOT more practice at precision boring before i attempt that!.the tapered holes i usually end up with would help extraction!while i will tear into anything else w/ abandon ,i still approach any boring job w/ trepidation! probably a carryover from the first boring i ever did, w/ boring TOOLS from sears w/ my first lathe, on my own....drove me crazy....couldnt get a straight hole ...wouldnt cut...ground them up sharpening ....gave up in frustr ation ...too ignorant at the time to know that they were h.s. but annealed!went back & looked at them years later & they were soft...real stupidity!....& i hate to cut where i cant see.....vol 1& 2 of howes books were the first i got ahold of at abt age 15 ( still riding a bus into town)..what a super smith!drawings by ellis /lentz ? ???are gorgeous....tried to learn metal work from him ,but had no background w/ anything but hand tools...i made 3 stocks from blanks before i got a drill press or power grinder.& still wont use power sanding on stock ......axe ,drawknife , spoke shave ,chisels & rasps,& broken glass....made checkering tools from drill rod(threw them away when Dembart came on market)...i couldnt even read & understand the drawings , but the pics of sporterized militarys by amateurs inspired me!!!..i do remember that he used BURNISHING reamers after the finish reamer...the flutes were radiused & polished...never seen one or heard of one since ...better idea than #320 on a split dowel!..need to reread it now that i have matriculated from the school of hard knocks..u know, first u get the test ,& THEN u study! if u decide to bore , i will dig out that old article for u ...it may be the same author!!..i really have intended to spend some time gaining confidence in precision boring.... kind of embarassed at my incompetance...have bored about half dozen back/face plates & nailed the register dimensions on all but one (.0015 over), but slo /scared all the way....oh btw,Victor tool in N.Y. has #8 reamers about $20 for h.s. ,but $4 for carbon steel!!!!!!!!!!that was a surprise!
                    best wishes
                    docn8as

ps ...i did bore a 45 long colt chamber for a neighbor several years back ..surface finish was lousy(typical, tool springs away when i put a decent radius on the point, so i endup w. a sharp tool & sorry finish) , & i made a D bit reamer & cleaned it up...
                    docn8as

Comment

Doc, I read through the article. It is not for me, the guy is working with a couple of indicators some how, no sine bar or anything for establishing proper angles, and then polishing out with a rubber wheel. He does make a piloted reamer for the neck and throat. All this on a 6" Atlas lathe.
                      He made special boring bars, one offset to give rigidity and clearance. Lot of good ideas in article, but I think I'll stick to reamers. It is easier to correct mistakes on them than a barrel blank.
                      This does prove though that a good mechanic can accomplish just about anything he sets his mind on. The equipment is not the limiting factor, the brain is.
                      Reread Howe, he makes real reamers. You are right about burnisher, also burnishes bore before rifling. Howe is about the best as far as I am concerned.
                      Jim H.

Comment

J C .....tnx for dialog ...enjoyed it...let me know if i can help w/ reamers ..been there a few times & wrote up some proceedures, particularly grinding sequence w/ toolpost grndr..just one way of working it out ..think i solved my problem of not having a double angle cutter., took me a long time to learn why double angle cutters were recommended....ur methoods may just be better . if so , i need to pick ur brains!......i will take another look at Howe......
                        best wishes
                        docn8as
                        docn8as

Comment

Working...
                        X