Cutting stainless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting stainless

Have a job coming in, have no idea how to do it. About 400 pieces of stainless threaded rod, m16-2, about 1/2" thick. Needs to be cut to length and dressed. I have a Dewalt low-speed 14" saw with a carbide blade for mild steel, does a great job so far. I put an abrasive blade for stainless on it, but it is very slow and takes a lot of pressure. Any insight from anyone that does this?
    Last edited by wygant; 01-15-2016, 07:51 PM.

Have you tried the carbide blade on the stainless? If it's not turning too fast it may work pretty well. Abrasive blades are always slow and take a lot of pressure because you're only making dust, not chips. Abrasive blades always make a huge amount of heat too, and end up melting and smearing the metal.

Comment

I have no experience with these blades from Makita, but they seem to work.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuoYGvlu3fM

Comment

Sounds like a lathe job to me.

Sarge

Comment

In the piping biz we used SS hangers and rod on occasion. We just cut it with a portable band saw.

Might be an excuse to buy a band saw vise...
          paul
          ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
          but you may have to

Comment

Yeah, they have a listed life span of 290 cuts, probably less in 1/2" rod....for over a hundred bucks, I need something more durable.

Comment

400 cuts
              1/2 " ss
              angle grinder

Comment

Hi,

Honestly if I was in your shoes, I would go to HF and buy their portable band saw. Toss factory blade and replace with a bi-metal blade and saw away. It's even on sale right now.

The speed in cycle time alone will pay for it. And it's cheap enough to write off against the job and toss if you so desire.

Dalee
                If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Cold Saw,
                  I could them with what looks like a machined end and hold a couple of thousands on length over the entire batch.

Comment

It needs to go slow to cut stainless. Lenox has a cutting speed chart on all their boxes. It may be on the web too. Reminder: It needs to go slow.
                    gvasale

Comment

I cut literally tons of stainless.
                      We use Jet 4x6 bandsaws, with Bimetal blades- usually Lennox Diemaster 2, I like a variable pitch 8-12 for 1/2".
                      Sometimes I use Starrett blades, but I think the Lennox ones last longer.
                      I consider Jet to be the best of the little bandsaws- better castings, better bearings, they usually cut straight right out of the box.
                      I keep a couple of them on the floor at any given time, and they last me ten to fifteen years each.
                      There are times when we run one 3 or 4 hours of cut time a day.
                      Bought my first one in 78, and its still in the shed as a parts machine.

people who tell you all small bandsaws are the same usually have only owned one, and never used a good one.

A cold saw WILL cut stainless, much better- but, versus the $500 for the little bandsaw, a new coldsaw will probably run you six grand, and blades will be $150 to $200 each.If you look for a cold saw, figure that it will be 3hp 3 phase, and weigh 500lbs without a stand, and you need one that has a low range around 20 rpm if you want to cut stainless. Most of the used ones you find are 45/90 rpm- too fast for stainless.

Comment

Horizontal Bandsaw is the only way to go.

You can fab up a stop for the length and tape 4 pieces of stock together at a time and make short work of the cutting

Comment

The Evolution 14" blade for stainless seems to work well on my Dewalt DW872 saw. I have not done production cutting but it works much better than an abrasive wheel on the steel and stainless steel I have cut with it. http://www.amazon.com/EVOLUTION-TCT-...+steel+14+inch

Comment

Bandsaw 100%. Most have 4 speeds outta the box and the lowest is usally set perfectly for stainless steel and other pesky metals.
                            Can get them for what, $250~500 chinese new, perfectly good tools, sometimes just need a few minor adjustments/tweaks, but they will cut 1/2" SS straight enough outta the box no problem at all. Just might wanna change the gear oil first since they use raw sewage for gear oil it seems.

If you had money to burn, a cold saw would be a tiny bit better, faster but $$$ for proper ones (proper one = turns at 60~100rpm or so with a 14" blade, $1000+ used, huge machine). the 1800rpm ones move wayy too fast for cutting steel with long tool life, not enough torque to get large enough chips. IMO 1800rpm ones only good for cutting aluminum, but then any circ saw can do that with a wood blade)

You could maybe use your mild steel blade in your circ saw but expect tool life to be poor at best.

4 1/2" or 5" Angle grinder with 3/32" or thinner cutting disks will make short work of 1/2" SS if your super cheap. those 3/16" abrasive circ saw blades take forever to cut steel in comparison. Won't leave as nice of a cut as the bandsaw however, and if you don't wear a mask you'll be coughing up metal dust in snot.
                            Last edited by Black_Moons; 01-16-2016, 04:22 PM.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by GSWayne View Post
                              The Evolution 14" blade for stainless seems to work well on my Dewalt DW872 saw. I have not done production cutting but it works much better than an abrasive wheel on the steel and stainless steel I have cut with it. http://www.amazon.com/EVOLUTION-TCT-...+steel+14+inch
                              I like the reviews on that blade...
                              "Was cutting 1/4" ss angle. Got 6 cuts out of blade. Worked great on first 4 cuts not so much on last 2. It seems as is just too hard on blades. Will stick to band saw in future"

Bandsaw++
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X