Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT : New internet providers or flash in the pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT : New internet providers or flash in the pan?

See here-
    http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/p...629395,00.html
    I just need one more tool,just one!

It's for real. The utilities have been working on this for a long time, mainly so they can get rid of all the meter readers. Then they discovered it could be used to deliver internet too. It's my only hope for high speed where I live. There is a significant investment required as every transformer must have a bypass coupler installed. Also, proofing the system against things like lightning strikes isn't easy.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Just what does the bypass coupler look like?A couple months ago they came out and installed a oblong shaped device anout 8" long on each and every transformer here that has two small wires connected,but not hooked up yet,could it be?

Comment

No idea, but is sounds like that may be what they are up to.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

But it disrupts certain parts of the radio spectrum. Where are the ham radio folks?
          Gene

Comment

I have heard of this new idea to serve internet service, my company Pacificorp has not started it yet over here. The parent company Scottish Power might be doing this across the pond. I am a grid operator and we have been using this technology on a smaller scale, as the article said for many years now. The signal will not travel through a transformer (yet) so they use a powerline carrier or wave trap at each end of the transmission line. Who knows what they will come up with next this is an amazing time we live in.

The oblong device they are installing on the transformers might be lightning arresters. Post a picture and I will be able to tell you what the device is.

The smart meters have been around at least 10-15 years. This technology allows the power company to read your meter remotely and get outage information. The simple reason it is not widely used is cost. These meters are about 5 times the cost of a standard meter and replacing the old ones would cost to much. That part goes to the bean counters and has something to do with the PUC allowing them to pass the cost off to the consumer. This might be the exact thing that will allow them to pay for this technology.

I watched a video on the smart meters at a union meeting some 12 years ago a small utility company back East some where was trying it on a trial basis. With this type of meter the consumer would buy a power card like a phone card, the home would have a card reader installed in the house. The consumer would buy any amount of power they wanted from several different sources power company or a store that was contracted to sell them, then you just swipe the card and the meter tells you how much power you have on hand to use. This allows the consumer to monitor there consumption and buy however much power they need. To a union member it doesn't take long to realize how many positions they could cut no meter reader or billing dept. The only reason they don't go to this is cost of the new meters. This technology I am talking about would utilize the phone lines. I can see were they could cover the cost of the meter if they were selling internet service.

All I know is I can imagine how many new alarms I will get if we start using this. I guess that is job security. This is not exactly my field of expertise we have Com. Techs. that deal with the actual nut and bolts of the control system. I am an end user I just need to know what will happen when I operate the device not how the information got there.
            Mike

Comment

A friend is near Cincinnati Ohio. He is in the boondocks and was trying to get this service. He and others worked and begged to have the service. The Electric Company in Cinci has started to deliver this. But, as it would happen, my friend is 10 miles away from where they are stopping the service.
              He looked into satellite service and said that it was stupid expensive. Just a FYI

I need a spelling checker for this bbs. Grrrr.

[This message has been edited by rockrat (edited 06-21-2004).]
              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Oh believe me, the HAM guys are fighting this technology TOOTH and NAIL. They don't want it.

Comment

Hi Mike
                  Your reply sparked an interest. I retired from PP&L. I am at the South end of Or.
                  Down here there was conversation about the metters that you speak of. As of 5 years ago I don't believe that it has been tried here.
                  Don\'t ask me to do a dam thing, I\'m retired.
                  http://home.earthlink.net/~kcprecision/

Comment

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 09-02-2004).]

Comment

Hi Charlie, give me an e-mail yours did not go through for me.
                      Mike

Comment

This technology is really bad news for Amateur Radio operators (Ham radio) and others that use the short wave spectrum. The unshielded power lines act like very long antennas and radiate broadband noise in all directions. There have been several large tests and the results show that there was a great deal of interference. It was tried in Europe and rejected for these reasons.
                        There is apparently a lot of political pressure on the FCC to approve this technology in spite of the harmful interference.

[This message has been edited by fixxit (edited 06-22-2004).]
                        457863656C73696F7220212000

Comment

Heres the pic of the pole outside,the (two)actuall new things on it are just above the transformer,the rectangular frame I think is a lightning arrestor(could be why we keep getting hit)but the other I don't know.

Comment

T-bracket with lightning arrestor and a fused cutout... not to mention one incredibly sloppy and hazardous structure.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Arcane:
                              T-bracket with lightning arrestor and a fused cutout... not to mention one incredibly sloppy and hazardous structure. </font>
                              Ya and the pole is old and rotten too Thanks REA!

Comment

Working...
                              X