Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to have a small milling job done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to have a small milling job done.

I've got a small piece I need enlarged and 6 copies made. Material is 1/4" Aluminium. I can specify alloy. Looking for a small shop. Not a complex piece roughly size and shape of a auto safety belt tongue fits on 2" webbing.
    CVT.

Need to get an idea of what it looks like and more importantly where are you?
    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

This is mostly a DIY forum, but some members might be willing to do a small machining job for you. If you have a drill press, you might be able to get an X-Y vise and an end mill in the chuck and DIY. If you put an ad on your local Craigs List you might find someone nearby to help. But in any case, you need to supply a drawing with dimensions and tolerances, or perhaps sample to copy.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Maybe I can assist. [email protected]

Comment

You could also try at practicalmachinist.com as over there they all do this for money, but don't include how much you think the/their effort is worth. You'll never recover from that.
          And if you're in the US, don't mention that it resembles part of or is part of a safety harness. It triggers all kinds of pavlovian reactions :-)

Igor

Comment

The young man I've been helping can do it & is pretty well set up. PM if interested & I'll give you his #.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucktin View Post
              Looking for a small shop.
              is this from a fear of large spaces, or just being cheap? at home or work I value my time....one might argue that commercial shop would be cheaper end of the day than lightly equipped home shop - combination of the right equipment and used to working efficiently

Not a complex piece
              strike 2.....post a drawing, if I have to machine it I'll say how complex it is to make.

roughly size and shape of a auto safety belt tongue fits on 2" webbing.
              if its anything safety related, I wouldn't touch it....fine for a commercial shop, they have liability insurance (or should)

imo you should lead with, here's a drawing, anyone in my area want to quote it? Do a drawing and post it at PM - there's a section for it. If it really is simple you'll get quotes and be pleasantly surprised that its small dollars. Helpful as well to say where you are.
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Ok, I didn't know where to begin. I'll take that advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucktin View Post
                  Ok, I didn't know where to begin. I'll take that advice.
                  apologies if i came of abrupt, just tryin' to call it as i see it
                  in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

If you are going to post it on Practical Machinist you had better make sure there is a detailed and toleranced drawing and everything is correct on it.

Comment

Whispering in your ear ....

Don't bother asking over on PM ... there are lots of guys here that would love to do it .. Several have offered.
                      Send them the drawing ...
                      John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Would plasma cut work?
                        Andy

Comment

You might try making a drawing of the part using the free software from http://www.emachineshop.com/. You can choose from a variety of materials and get instant quotes for various quantities.
                          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

CNCzone.com has a Request For Quote forum. I've had a couple of things made off that board.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                              This is mostly a DIY forum, but some members might be willing to do a small machining job for you. If you have a drill press, you might be able to get an X-Y vise and an end mill in the chuck and DIY.
                              Please don't advise people to do this. It's dangerous. Drill press morse tapers are not made to take side loads. The cutter stands a very good chance of ending up embedded in the OP's body.

Comment

Working...
                              X