Semi OT: Incredible model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Semi OT: Incredible model

I was looking for something nice to make for my church and I found this. This is an incredibly high quality 3D model of The Madonna and it appears to be public domain.

This is how it looks in Sketchup. It looks like it may be possible to 3D print this. I certainly will be trying to see just how good I can make it in a fairly large size.

Find it here: http://archive3d.net/?a=download&id=4aa8cca3
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

How, pray, does one make a free-form shape like this in Sketchup?
    Allan Ostling

Comment

I am guessing that it may have been laser scanned at a museum somewhere and then cleaned up. It was originally a 3DS model so it wasn't created in SketchUp but it is compatible with SU. It is also very clean with just a very few small "holes" that need to be fixed to make it a true "solid". It will probably prove necessary to add some small supports in a few places but that isn't difficult and they are easy to remove after printing. I am very much looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

Comment

This is a 3D laser scan I made using a laser scanner I built. It is a scan of an actual physical model about 10 inches tall, made of wood powder filled plastic material, semi white in colour. Then pulled into Sketchup and adjusted to look decent.

Comment

This statue can be found at St. James cathedral in Seattle, or in a religious tchotchke shop.

John

Comment

As I suspected. It is then a laser scan but it is one of the best I have seen. I base that on the very clean scanning patterns of the individual surfaces that are visible when the lines are enabled in SketchUp. Most such scans are a random mess of triangles with a very high vertex count. That can make it very hard to work with because of the CPU load. CAD is one of the programming jobs that does not benefit from multi processor machines. The calculations required in the display process are not predictable and cannot be divided into multiple threads with any real benefit . Processor speed is the primary limit that computer science has run into for quite a few years now. Over a decade ago Intel was predicting they would be at at least 10 gigahertz by now but they are lucky to be at around half that.

They are finally making some real progress in the field of quantum mechanical computation systems and that hold the possibility of a huge jump in CPU speed. Once that gets rolling you could see CPU speed go up by a factor of ten or more, possibly much more. That will make it possible to generate what is considered the ultimate goal in computer graphics functionality, the ability to generate real time 3D graphics that appear indistinguishable from real life. I hope I get to see that. Computer graphics has been my core interest above everything else I am interested in.

Comment

It looks like a nice project for a good cause, but I have to wonder. Does placing the computer file model in the public domain also mean that the work of art is in the public domain? It may seem like I am splitting hairs, but so do the lawyers. I wouldn't want you to get your church in any trouble.

Or perhaps the original work of art is many centuries old and therefore it is in the public domain.
              Paul A.

Make it fit.
              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

What I make will be a derivative work of the of the original. I am permitted by law to make a copy of anything as long as what I do does not infringe on the owners ability to make money, such as selling it. There are also some questions that do not yet have full answers in cases like this. Is it the equivalent of a photograph? If it is then it is not covered by copyright in nearly all cases. It cannot be patented so only copyright law pertains. If the original is an actual sculpture that is out of copyright then there is no issue. If it is in copyright then I may use it in a "fair use" manner as long as I do not in any way try to commercially exploit it. I think I am pretty safe in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  Processor speed is the primary limit that computer science has run into for quite a few years now. Over a decade ago Intel was predicting they would be at at least 10 gigahertz by now but they are lucky to be at around half that.

They are finally making some real progress in the field of quantum mechanical computation systems and that hold the possibility of a huge jump in CPU speed. Once that gets rolling you could see CPU speed go up by a factor of ten or more, possibly much more. That will make it possible to generate what is considered the ultimate goal in computer graphics functionality, the ability to generate real time 3D graphics that appear indistinguishable from real life. I hope I get to see that. Computer graphics has been my core interest above everything else I am interested in.

With that clock speed and billions of transistors crammed on a single silicon chip comes tremendous heat. How will the new generations of processors be cooled? We've already seen the "novelty" water cooled PC CPU(s). Air cooled with a refrigeration unit? Chilled water like the older IBM mainframes?

Comment

Quantum CPUs have now been demonstrated, albeit in a very simple form. They operate on the principle that in quantum mechanics an electron can have more than just two states, equivalent to on or off. In quantum mechanics an electron may have many states and if we are able to resolve those states by means of instantaneous entanglement a single electron can represent more than just two states. Currently they have succeeded in representing four states, obviously a factor of two better. If we can represent, say, 8 states then each of what used to be binary will then be octal, a factor of eight and it will draw no more power than before, possibly less. Due to the instantaneous action of entanglement the functional speed may be far higher. Entanglement can operate across the entire universe with no delay at all. As Feynman said, If you think you understand Quantum Mechanics then you don't understand Quantum Mechanics.

Comment

Working...
                    X