headspace gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• headspace gauges

in the 40's when i first got interested, an awful ot of jobs were h/spaced w/ cartridges..some 3006 ga. around, not much else, .....100 cases were slected ( would generally last the barrel) ,chamber was roughed , finish reamer used & stopped maybe 1/64 short...10 or so cases inserted in chamber & depth mike checked , .....longest was selected for h/space ga...dab of grease on piece of gillette blade added .003-.004,crush fit took away .0015 to .002,& you were left w/ .002 +/- hdspc.( for urself, ,probably left zero hdspc)...this worked well enuff ..if one case was tight , u pitched it , if too many , u put the t handle ext . on reamer & gave a twist....the one problem was the guy who bought his ammo, & needed a quick second shot ,with the old case jammed in chamber , or worse yet, the head torn off! but then again , any one hunting game that would just as soon track u ,& didnt run the cartridges thru the nite befor, is probably a candidate for the Darwin award, doing society a favor by removing himself from the human gene pool....noooowwww e. narramore ,recognizing th e fact that most everybody was poor,at that time, wrote his great book on handloading & the manufacture of ammo(principles of handloading?).....for rimmed h/space ga. it was pretty obvious before the book ....turn up a replica of the base of cartridge w/ rim thikness, the max cartridge drawing in loading h/book+ .002.....for rimless turn up a two diam. ga. , the base part about 1/4 in. + long ,atjust under the min. chamber spec ( h/book or other source)the front of the GA. is the x/act shoulder dim. at the datum line , total length is the max. cartridge drawing line from shldr datum to cartrdge base + .002 . if ur heavy handed in useing ga. ,u can roll the front edge,....if u harden ga. & are ham fisted , chamber will score .....but ,never to worry, himmel!, ve are gunschmitts, ya?...buchsenmachers!...und buchsenmeisters..!!!.........now if u realy want to make up a full shouldered one ,like the big boys do, ...clamp a sinbar on the compound, on its side ,w/ rolls facing towards end of bed, after eyeballing the compound in line w/crossfeed....grab an indicator in t/stock chuck & tap sinbar till it indicates SAME on both rolls as u crank it in /out ....now it is in same plane as compound,....next rotate compound so bar is near parallel w/ bed & rolls facing bed ( 1/4 turn left)...now grab an indicator in chuck & set compound to shldr angle by trigging out the difference in readings on two rolls .sin 1/2 shldr angle x inches between roll centers u now have correct angle to turn ga. also to MAKE A REAMER!!!(thank u d. johnson from keeping me from inadvertandly making wildcats by missing shldr angle...idea is not new, but he brought it to my attention!...if u had a proof bar & aligned centers, could instead,put ga. blocks between roll & bar to set the sin bar/compound...now is the tough part....one way to get length is turn up a short length of bar & bore a hole x/act shldr dim. at datum line ( usually 1/2 way down shldr,not always & 3006 on top edge of shldr,)..set a block/angle plate on surfaceplate/whatever,put a thick square against the angle plate (looks like a gallows)...put base of ga. under overhung square & slide down into hole in bar ...idea is to keep ga. plumb!...now measure from block to underside o f square ....note the difference from length on max cartrdg drawing & shorten ga correct amount .if ur really good ,u dont need to re check it ..har,har.....probably easiest to tslescope ga. the distance w/ ur third hand!!DONT use a dial caliper!......if u have a known correct chamber , just test ga. in rifle & & turn down till bolt closes!!...bit maybe if u already had that caliber ,u wouldnt be making another ...although many of the 06 family use the same ga.... when u come up w/ a simpler way to get correct length , i am all ears ,(at least the good left one)....what ? EAR protection!..nah!!!!
    nice thing is ,engine on my 20 year old truck gets quieter every year!
    best wishes
    docn8as
    docn8as

Doc
    Why don't you write some gun articles for the mag - Neil would love ya! I know you can do it, so quit screwing around (a pun!).

I had to get rid of my Gremlin 258 tire burner when the stereo died - could hear the car rusting then!

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 04-29-2002).]

Comment

Doc, I am going to have to print this one. It will take some digesting. Thanks. Mike

Comment

Mike ....shud have said to set an angle plate on SIDE,& hold a square to the inside of it , like a gallows hanging out,as this will keep the square plumb in both planes ,helping to keep ga. true as u slide it down into contact w/ shoulder datum hole in block.......& there really shud be an easier way to get the length!
        best wishes
        docn8as

Ps wish i could draw on this thing!
        docn8as

Comment

You can use a cartridge, preferably a dummy, to establish chamber depth provided you use a headspace gauge such as the ones Midway sells. You drop a sized case into the gauge and it the head rests someplace between the two flats, you are within SAAMI specs.
          If you make a steel (standard pattern) headspace gauge, you will need to leave stock all over, harden, draw and finish grind. One that is left soft will deform in short order; a bolt action puts enormous pressure on the case head.
          I recently had a set of wildcat reamers made to my specs and Clymer also made me two go-no go sets for chamber and forming die. If you are going to do it, don't be halfway about it; do it properly. You will have to send the one set to RCBS or whoever makes your dies. In my case, I bought blank RCBS dies and made my own, but I didn't harden them. I'm thinking of making my next die set from Timken Graph-air stock I have in 1" diameter. It takes a lot of time to cut the 7/8-14 threads, but that set of dies should outlast any possible grit that gets between the unformed cases and the die walls. Those soft dies look like they have been in a sand storm.
          Today we carve our own omens Leonidas at Thermopylae

Comment

John ..the outlay u have for reamers dies & ga.s..is a strong component of the reasons i started making my own reamers dies /ga.s..... right up there w/ "i did it my way" ..."surely , i can do better than that"..& "i dont need u to do it for me"... i spect that standards are higher now , but i checked dies & reamers 40 yrs ago that that were pathetic ... viz. necks reduced .011 & then expanded .008......& i stoned more than one & actually had to grind one reamer to get it into spec....so i am not a great fan of "doing it right " particularly for experimental wildcats ...2/3revisions & u have a grand tied up w/ no commercial guarantees or even if u continue to use the cartridge..........also not a great fan of hardening anything that doesent cut metal/hardwood...back in the 60's when i shot a lot competitively , I made a set of forming dies taking 30-30 win brass down to 32-35 stevens...swaging head from .317 down to .305 ( if remembered )...after 100 cases ,i miked dies & couldnt read any wear..dont think i even used a tool steel .... i guess a serious competitor can wear out a set of dies in a few years ,but i never did....also wonder about the specs after hardening a die .maybe they grind the deformation out ,but i doubt it....by spinning my reamers in drill press when heating & bringing quench up to reamer while spinning, i reduced runout from around .020 to .009-.011.which is subsequently ground out...................cant imagine how a stndrd ga. ,unhardened would deform ....shoulder is in taper contact & nothing is going anywhere .....bolt action has tremendous camming force , but no more than what U put on it....I have used paper shims to check hdspc ,& miked them afterwards w/ no deformation...yes , they will wear ,but we are talking amateur or at most, part time smithing ...if u have a 2 year backlog of work ,u r losing money making ur own tooling, but if u r staring out the window, u r useing up valuable capital buying tooling.........didnt have ga.s for setting dies back in dark ages...didnt see a need !!!!!.u set the die up so case was resized just enuf to seat it easily if f.l. sizing (mostly neck sized)..if concerned ,u smoked the shoulder w/ a kerosene lamp to see where u were,or added a piece of razor blade to back of crtrdg for no go if u thot u went too far...stndard of living has gotten higher & i guess more money available for "accessories"...but then i still get a hand saw to cut one or two boards,rather than drag out skillsaw & extension cord...& hav e so far resisted cordless tools..no one has ever accused me of being on the cutting edge ...still useing the first tractor i ever bought....tnx for answering post ,
            best wishes
            docn8as

Ps anybody else wondered why every military mauser & russian checked had .010 to .012 hdspc ? sprgfld would be long gone to the armory!!!!!........maybe excess hdspc not the big bugaboo we have been led to beleive? ( & caseheads not enclosed either) in mac farlands book , he said the commercial mausers coming over here had lots excess hdspc,but the Germans didnt mind killing a few americans BETWEEN wars!funny remark ,but still leaves a ?
            docn8as

Comment

Working...
            X