home made table power feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• home made table power feed

Could one of the cheap screwdriver drills be cut down/dismatled ,set in a housing with appropriate gearing etc and be used to power feed a small mill table.These things have very high torque and I wondered if fitted with a permanent power source through a small transformer they could be used in this way ,they usually have forward/reverse switching built in so why not.
    Or what about a small motor from an old microwave It may not be poweful enough any ideas? as I feel this would be a worthwhile project. Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

If it hasenough torque, I don't see why not. But it may not be ideal without the addition of some additional features. I have the Asian power feed on my mill-drill and in addition to reverse, it has variable speed (down to zero) and a fast speed for tramming while setting up. Both are very valuable features. Almost indispensible.

Most of my usage is in the lowest 25% of the range and the fast tram. On a speed scale of 0 to 10 I rarely cut at any higher setting than 2.

Paul A.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

surely it could be fitted with change wheeled gearing via a toothed belt for speed or a small pulley system with belting?Alistair

Comment

See Roy Moungovan's book Shop Savvy. He did it with a lathe.

On the 'net I've seen where others have done it and it works.

Comment

I use a small right angle gearmotor that I got at Graingers.

Comment

never thought of that that would be powerful good idea do you have any pics? Alistair

Comment

http://home.comcast.net/~ronin_engineer/metal.html

This one is not a good picture but he mentions Roy Moungovan and his book.

Moungovan used a torque/rpm converter on the screwdriver. I think they were made to reduce rpms and increase torque on drills so you could use them as an electric screwdriver. I remember seeing them long ago but haven't seen one for many years. Anyone know where I can buy one?

If I can find any more pictures I'll add them.

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 06-29-2004).]

Comment

Alistair,

A few people have used windscreen wiper motors,mostly from scrap yards it seems. I was thinking of doing something along those lines for my Dore-Westbury, but I shall not bother now as I am waiting for a new 626 from Chester UK. This will have a power feed and also a DRO ready fitted.

A motor from a scrap yard would be very affordable for you, even though I know you are very affluent, and can afford anything you want. (I think the correct word is affluent but it might have been flatulent,I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong.)

From a friend from south of the wall

Comment

I am barely afluent enough to be flatulent in fact a windscreen wiper motor on the back of my scantieloons would do no harm!
                  It might clear the air so to speak. Alistair

[This message has been edited by Alistair Hosie (edited 06-29-2004).]

Comment

It might be better to use a power window motor as then the table wouldn't just go back and forth .050"
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Not if you flipped it into reverse quickly enough at the exact moment Alistair

Comment

alistair,
                        i did that very thing on an old rongfu mill/drill. used an old bosch 14V drill who's varispeed trigger had burnt out (a new trigger was $60 locally and a new drill was $190 on sale)

removing the clutch control revealed some tapped holes that i used for mounting. i drilled/tapped one end of the acme screw and fitted a hexhead bolt. i installed a permanent socket to the drillchuck and mounted it that way. still ran on batteries, though added a makeshift splashguard.

didnt want to make permanent changes as i was shortly to sell the rongfu for a bridgeport.

the little thing worked great.. a 10k pot (IIRC) did the trick for speed control and on/off.

the bosch 14V pro drill (blue) had plenty of muscle for what the rongfu could handle. and the batteries lasted longer than they would have drilling/driving!

let us know how your project turns out.

-tony

Comment

I built an x-axis feed for my mini mill and a z axis feed for my Griz 0519 dovetail column mill. Both work well. In each case I used a DC motor controller kit for speed control:

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=6067+KT

The kits come from kitsrus

http://kitsrus.com/kits.html#k67

In the UK kits come from-

http://www.quasarelectronics.com/home.htm

I also used surplus power supplies - for example:

http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=14178+PS

You probably have similar sources in the UK.

I also used surplus motors. The Z-axis drive used a windshild wiper motor - something that should be easily available and cheap. The mechanics are straightforward. Hope this helps.

Comment

Tony couldn't a small housing be made to surround the drill workings with a built in tranformer stepp down to 12 v or whatever to save batteries this might reduce size of housing as batteries could be avoided .
                            I also like the idea of a windscreen motor this is very powerful Alistair ps thanks guys so far,also thqanks bruce for these links take care Alistair

Comment

I'm using a wiper motor on a mini-lathe, now installing one on mini-mill, using PWM speed control.
                              They will run very slow, with lotsa torque.

Comment

Working...
                              X