• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Indexer FYI

Posting this to show how to use a Compound Indexer on a dividing head
    Note this is the most command type used

Dave Smith

Thanks, but the writing in the pictures is missing some serious punctuation in step 2, the picture is tiny and all the text in the table is thus not readable. I think the info might be of useful value if it just was presented differently.
    Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

The drawing seems to refer to five steps but only steps 2 and 3 are shown.

?????
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Very nice to share the knowledge,
        but exercising an accomplished command of the English
        language helps to get your point across.

-D
        DZER

Comment

Having written a detailed description of compound indexing and a program to do the calculations all I can say is,

I hope you don't do presentations for the company for whom you work.
          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Here all the step print in the book
            This is closer tolerance that a CNC indexer / dividing head
            The chart has ever division from 51 to 250

Compound Indexing using the Smith Indexer

Step 1 Find the divisions need on the chart in this case 77 Divisions
            Step 2 Install the dividing plate in this case it is B (2)
            Step 3 Set the Sector Arm at 9 holes
            Step 4 Find the second hole circle need.
            Step 5 Make mark on the Smith Indexer for the second hole circle for indexing in this case it is 3 holes to move forward in this case 3 holes.
            { note some division will need to go backward in this chart displayed in (-##)}
            { Note all indexing need the Sector Arm Spring/retaining clip this holes the sector arm for sliding. Replace if you missing this part a compression spring is not as good }

Originally posted by Jaakko Fagerlund View Post
            Thanks, but the writing in the pictures is missing some serious punctuation in step 2, the picture is tiny and all the text in the table is thus not readable. I think the info might be of useful value if it just was presented differently.
            Last edited by smithdoor; 02-11-2016, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Let me guess- you are selling something....

allan

Comment

If I selling some I would put price
                I have 7 yahoo groups that for South Bend lathes for 10 years

loganlathe
                PowerSolar
                MachinistLounge
                southbendlathe9
                southbendlathe2
                Lathe_Tooling_and_Uses
                southbendlathe9A
                southbendmanual

Also I post a lot drawing and data on other groups other have also post my pdf files
                Try this site for other data I have post
                http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/downloads/

Note I am working on a book I plan to sell some day. Most of data I have post on other sites for free, paper and shipping cost .
                I am also a journeyman machinist in repair with the card and own company MFG hangar doors till I sold it (www.smithdoor.com)

Dave Smith

Originally posted by kitno455 View Post
                Let me guess- you are selling something....

allan
                Last edited by smithdoor; 02-12-2016, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Amount of experience is in direct proportion to the value of broken equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by smithdoor View Post
                    If I selling some I would put price
                    I have 7 yahoo groups that for South Bend lathes for 10 years

loganlathe
                    PowerSolar
                    MachinistLounge
                    southbendlathe9
                    southbendlathe2
                    Lathe_Tooling_and_Uses
                    southbendlathe9A
                    southbendmanual

Also I post a lot drawing and data on other groups other have also post my pdf files
                    Try this site for other data I have post
                    http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/downloads/

Note I am working on a book I plan to sell some day. Most of data I have post on other sites for free, paper and shipping cost .
                    I am also a journeyman machinist in repair with the card and own company MFG hangar doors till I sold it (www.smithdoor.com)

Dave Smith
                    Did you learn how to write by reading Chinese instruction booklets?

Comment

From the finest schools in the USA my high school was in top 50 in the USA
                      Writing does not pay the bills what I found some the top writer in the word will never be English professes.
                      Some else can find tune there work.

Bottom line how to want to write a book on machine work, a English professes or journeyman machinist

Dave

Originally posted by Forestgnome View Post
                      Did you learn how to write by reading Chinese instruction booklets?

Comment

You named a dividing head after yourself? Why?

Comment

There is lot thing out there name Smith you are first to note I use my last name. I had name it some so why not.
                          I also have degree in gunsmith work I did name that after me there just a lot people name smith in word.
                          FYI my Writing and English swas my weakest subject it never paid the bills.

Dave

Originally posted by Sunset Machine View Post
                          You named a dividing head after yourself? Why?
                          Last edited by smithdoor; 02-12-2016, 11:04 AM.

Comment

OK guys, give the man a break. I, personally think that a good command of the English or any other language is a necessity if you are going to express your ideas accurately. When you write about a subject and the grammar and spelling are not correct, then the meaning can be lost. So you fail to communicate and many will not even read to the end. BUT, he has made an effort to simplify a subject that can be confusing to many, even some of those of us that do have better writing skills.

His project could be better written. A good explanation of how compound indexing works would be nice. Some additional information about the fine points involved when moving using two hole circles to avoid backlash would be nice for beginners. And the illustrations lack the detail needed to be useful.

I haven't examined his procedure in detail, but it probably has merit.

Perhaps one of you with better writing skills could volunteer to help him with his project.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

Make it fit.
                            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                              A good explanation of how compound indexing works would be nice.
                              What is compound indexing?.

The three normal modes are "direct","Indirect" and "differential"

The picture seems to be showing an original Brown and Sharpe design indexer (as knocked off by Vertex etc) , using bog standard "indirect" indexing ... As shown and explained ad infinitum on web pages and indexer manuals eg..Elliott B&S etc.

Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X