Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caliper Batteries ????

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Caliper Batteries ????

    I've always used Energizer silver oxide button cell batteries in my calipers #357/303 style.
    Now I see that most are now mercury free. Is there any difference between the merc free ones and the ones that contain merc?
    Do the merc free ones last as long and is there a difference in shelf life???
    I think you can still get them either way unless the merc ones are being phased out.

    JL...............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 02-13-2016, 09:18 AM.

  • #2
    I use SR44. They seem to last the longest. They fit the same holders as the 357 ones. It's easy to remember, those are 2 of my favorite revolver calibers.
    Kansas City area

    Comment


    • #3
      SR44 is just another manufactures name for the 357/303.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

      Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

      Southwestern Ontario. Canada

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
        I use SR44. They seem to last the longest. They fit the same holders as the 357 ones. It's easy to remember, those are 2 of my favorite revolver calibers.

        +1
        The SR44w's are silver oxide... they have a much flatter voltage/depletion curve.. and IME last a lot longer.
        Rob

        Comment


        • #5
          I have 3 battery powered large verniers i take the battery's out when i don't use them. I bought a bunch of lithium battery's on e-bay they where cheap.
          I prefer the mechanical readout no batterys

          Comment


          • #6
            I bought several 6" silver ones with the case at HF & keep 1 in the house, each truck, 3 in the shop & get at least 1 or 2 years out of a battery & keep a spare in each case. I have a 3' Fowler & none have dead batteries from leaving them in the caliper. If I had to take them out each time I'd bin them & buy decent tools.

            Comment


            • #7
              Five for a buck at the dollar store. I buy five bucks worth. Prob get 6-8 months in the garage per batt. Feeding 7 various calipers and scales, digital indicator.

              Comment


              • #8
                AG13, LR44, G13, A76, GP76A, 357 & SR44W are all more or less interchangeable.

                I don't buy batteries at the store any more. The mark up is just crazy. I bought 50 for under 4 bucks on fleabay, like so:

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-in-1-AG13...3D371029511633



                I'm sure I've had them more than two years, no issues.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by flylo View Post
                  I bought several 6" silver ones with the case at HF & keep 1 in the house, each truck, 3 in the shop & get at least 1 or 2 years out of a battery & keep a spare in each case. I have a 3' Fowler & none have dead batteries from leaving them in the caliper. If I had to take them out each time I'd bin them & buy decent tools.
                  I read somewhere that they consume power even when off. I have a 2" Mitutoyo micometer that I seldom use. A couple of month back when I came to use it the battery was dead. OK no problem I'll rob a battery out of my never used Chinese 3" micrometer, ops its also dead. OK how about the never used 4" - no that's dead as well. I now leave the batteries out of the 2", 3" and 4" and only leave the battery in the 1". It seems to me that the batteries last + or - 2 years whether you use the device or not.

                  Phil

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Costco Hearing aid battery #675 40 for $9.95. If you are just going in for hearing products you do not need to be a member.

                    Bob

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I have found this battery at the dollar store and have found on Amazon for low prices.
                      When you find get lot you will need them Calipers eat batteries. I have a draw with few year supply of the batteries

                      Dave

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The calipers that retain their zero calibration when turned off still draw some current, and only the display is turned off. I don't remember the exact values, but I measured the current and it was something like 50 uA while ON and 30 uA when off. The capacity of the LR44 is about 150 mA-h, so it will last about 5000 hours (208 days) when off. The SR44 silver oxide has about 200 mA-h capacity, and also has a slightly higher nominal voltage, so it might last twice as long but may be more than twice as expensive. I buy them on eBay for less than 25 cents each and free shipping.
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                          I've always used Energizer silver oxide button cell batteries in my calipers #357/303 style.
                          Now I see that most are now mercury free. Is there any difference between the merc free ones and the ones that contain merc?
                          Do the merc free ones last as long and is there a difference in shelf life???
                          I think you can still get them either way unless the merc ones are being phased out.

                          JL...............
                          The US Government banned the sale of all mercury batteries in 1996 (actually banned the sale unless the manufacturer provided free reclamation facilities and service - an effective ban). Just as an aside, in one fell swoop they rendered all photographic equipment such as cameras with built-in metering and light meters obsolete since the silver oxide and alkaline replacements have a different voltage. Mercury batteries are 1.35 volts, silver oxide are 1.55 volts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Zinc-Air batteries (PR44 and PR675) have the same voltage and have 600 mA-H capacity. But I think they were and still are expensive and not common enough to be offered at deep discounts.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              PStechPaul,

                              See post #10. I think 40 for $9.95 is not bad.

                              Bob

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X