Bolt Down LMS 3990 Mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt Down LMS 3990 Mill?

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a Little Machine Shop 3990 milling machine. My son came over today to help me lift it onto my work bench. The instructions say that it must be bolted to the work bench for safety since it is top heavy. I have not done this yet, but I don't see any issue with stability yet. Does anyone else who has one of these have it bolted to the work bench (or not)?

Bolt it down....
    Feel free to put me on ignore....

Comment

hello. I'm old. you should listen when old people give advice.

If it takes less time to do it
      than it does to explain why you did not do it
      just do it

if a chorus of wheezy old geezers agree with the first old coot, remember

It took a very long life to beat the stupid out of us
      if you listen to us
      we took the beating for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fritz1255 View Post
        but I don't see any issue with stability yet.
        You will when it falls on your foot :-)
        I have both my mini-mill and my drill press bolted to the table. Fewer problems that way.

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
          hello. I'm old. you should listen when old people give advice.

If it takes less time to do it
          than it does to explain why you did not do it
          just do it

if a chorus of wheezy old geezers agree with the first old coot, remember

It took a very long life to beat the stupid out of us
          if you listen to us
          we took the beating for you.
          Amen & bolt it down. Even the chinese who run aweful safety records in there shop say bolt it down, so bolt it down as you'd feel really bad with it smashed on the floor as your on the way to the hospital. If you choose not to please get pics and/or video.

Comment

Bolt it down,the plywood table top will double the machine's rigidity
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Don't listen to old geezers.
              That's retarded advise.
              You have no idea how smart they are.
              Use some logic and reasoning.

-D
              DZER

Comment

I've had my Harbor Freight Drill-Mill for 12 years or so, and it is not bolted down. It's something I have procrastinated about and I think it's a good idea, but I've never had any problems with it. It's only been in the last few years that I've done any "serious" milling - before that it was just a heavy duty drilling machine. It might help a little bit with rigidity - it does vibrate quite a bit when I take relatively heavy cuts with a two-flute end mill.
                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I've never bolted anything down either. I agree with the advice part, use logic and sound reasoning. Passing down old lies from generation to generation is why religeon still exists.

Comment

Not listening & learning from more experienced than yourself means you have to learn everything from your mistakes. I've always listened & learned from older people now I is one. I thought religeon was not discussed here but if it is I'd think you not the brightest bulb in the lamp.

Comment

Originally posted by flylo View Post
                      Not listening & learning from more experienced than yourself means you have to learn everything from your mistakes. I've always listened & learned from older people now I is one. I thought religeon was not discussed here but if it is I'd think you not the brightest bulb in the lamp.
                      You're entitled to your blind faith

Comment

Faith is blind just as I can't see wind, gravity, and many other things but know they're real. As far as old folks I've learned alot from them & taught my sons you can learn something from everyone, sometimes what to do & sometimes what not to do.

Comment

Get a drip pan sized appropriately from a car parts store and bolt down the mill with it sitting in the pan. The pan is so useful it makes the bolting it down decision a no-brainer.

The drip pan will hold cutting fluid, tools, swarf, clamps, and more. Mine is about 1 1/2 times larger than the base and I can't tell you how many parts, drills, and cutters it has kept from disappearing under the bench.

Comment

Personally I think you should bolt it down. Looking at the picture and specifications page at the LMS website it appears (to me) that
                            front to back the machine might be relatively stable, but side to side with that narrow base might be somewhat tippy. Crank the
                            X axis all the way to one end. Now start to apply some downward pressure to that end of the table to get a better idea of how
                            stable or unstable it is.

Comment

10 minutes and two bolts. Tough decision?

Comment

Working...
                              X